DD(4) runs away everytime we go outside.

I'm not sure what to do anymore. She just scaled the chain link fence (4-4 1/2 ft) and ran to the street. We were playing nicely in the backyard and my boys start screaming because she's scaling the fence....
I'm at my wits end...I can't even take her outside without her sprinting off. ADVICE PLEASE!!!! Anyone with the same problem and solved it???? What worked?!

BeachyBabe

Asked by BeachyBabe at 4:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does she have other behavioral problems? Developmental delays?

If not, you need to work on obedience in a major way. Start by finding out WHY she is running. Teach her (by showing- be gruesome if you have to, show her a dead squirrel) what happens when you get hit by a car.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• No, she doesn't have developmental delays, and no behavioral problems that I know of besides just simply not listening. Thanks for the input obbydobbie, I may have to do that...it might get through to her then...
    BeachyBabe

Comment by BeachyBabe (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Safety is one of those things that I turn mean over. If it was my daughter she would get an immediate spanking followeed by a "Do you want to die?" angry type of talk. For anything else I take a pretty laid back approach but if it is something that could kill them i go extreme on them.
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2011