What does a licensed home-daycare really mean?

This may be a silly question, but what does being a licensed home-daycare mean? Does it really matter? Are there any benefits from sending your kids to a licensed versuses not licensed home daycare?

Ms.Maricel

Asked by Ms.Maricel at 5:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

• With a licensed daycare...they have to have so many classes a year to keep their home licensed...such as CPR...basically panic mode stuff.

I send my DD to a license home daycare. Chloe loves it there...she's really great!
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• licensed daycare home means that the local department of child and family services (or whatever it is called in your area) has done a background check on all adults in the home, and has checked the home and considers it a "safe" environment. They also do routinely check on the home to ensure they still within the guidelines of being licenses. Having a state licence will also means that this person can (and most likely) will accept state payment for reduce child care expenses.

A non-licences home may or may not be operating legally. Most states have a limit on a number of children the person can care for before they HAVE to be licences. These providers do not (and can not) accept payment from the state. So if a family gets gov. assistance for child care expenses they can't use a non-license home.

As for actual care- that depends on the person. I've seen so called licenses homes be awful and non-licenses homes be great.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I think they all need to be licensed, at least in Ca.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• A non-licences home may or may not be operating legally.

Don't let a liscense or non make your decision. I've known serveral people who run non-licensed daycares, and they are wonderful and still follow all the 'rules' and safety requirements, it just may be that they may not meet one requirement, like the layout of their home. I've know too many lisenced daycares that not only should be revoked, but the provider should be in jail. And when you try and report them, it fails, becasue unless they are caught in the act, they get away with it. And when it's only required to check once a year, it's hard to catch them breaking these rules. I know a lot of providers that say things like, "it's easy to fudge on the rules", but then there are some sahm's who provide the same quality loving, safe care they give their own children. It's about the person more so than a lisence.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't send my child to a non licensed home daycare personally. My provider was licensed and NAEYC accredited, so I knew she was required to abide by certain standards, which she did. :) Plus she had a degree in ECEC, which was a plus for me as well.  I am not saying women who run daycare in their home without a license are bad, I just wouldn't go with it for my own child.

Anonymous

• yes it means that the day care provier is safe & dhs checked them out so they are not child precters or un safe
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 30, 2011