Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How can I get my son into speech classes in elementary school?

My son needs speech classes. His speech was evaluated a few months ago and the doctors agree he definitely needs it. They gave me a list of resources of where I can get it for him with the local school system being at the top of the list. I prefer he does it there since he'll be going there next year for school anyways.

Because I could find absolutely nothing on the schools or school system's website, while registering my son for kindergarten, I asked about having him enrolled. They said I need to wait until school starts and wait for the teacher to notice he may need it, then I can get things started. They wouldn't even look at my paperwork from the doctor.

He currently attends pre-k (at a private school) and his teacher there says his speech has significantly improved over the course of the school year. Since his diagnoses, I've been working with him at home because they told me exactly what are his problem areas/words. Strangers understand about 80-90% of what he says. But I don't feel he is still up to par with other 5 year olds.

I don't want him to wait until school starts and possibly go through the teasing from not being understood by his teachers or peers. I'd rather him already be working on the problem. In addition to sending an email to the superintendent's office, (not nasty, just asking for info) what else can I do?


Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • You might try calling early childhood and just asking them who you need to contact at the school. Your son is too old for Early Childhood services, but they are very helpful and will know who you need to talk to at the school. The school may not have a summer speech program, so what they are telling you about waiting until he starts school might be the only option there.

    My son did speech through ECI until he turned 3. At that point going through the school district or private therapy were our options, but I was told that since his delay was not significant enough the school would not accept him. His ECI therapist also told me that she thought private therapy would be a better route for him anyway since he's quiet and not terribly outgoing. My son's pediatrician gave us a "prescription" for speech therapy and referred us to a private speech therapist.


    Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • Just call the school or talk to them in person. When I was in 4th grade about half of my class had to go to speech therapy and we never got teased. GL!

    Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • What I was told about the program in our school district is that they only accept children who are very significantly behind before kindergarten age, but once they reach kindergarten age it is much easier to qualify. If your son is starting school in the fall you might seriously consider private therapy to help get him caught up as much as possible before school starts. Also continue to work with him on your own. GL!

    Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • Request an evaluation for an IEP.

    Answer by meooma at 8:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • He may have to be enrolled before they can offer the service.

    Answer by CometGirl at 3:51 PM on May. 2, 2011