OMG please help I dont know what to do...

Ok so my 3 year old DS has started this new thing. He bites himself when he gets into trouble and I dont know what to do. Please help.!!!!!

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 5:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter does this as well. She bites herself when she is angry or frustrated and doesn't know what to do. We've talked a lot about saying what we're feeling. Over the last few months, we've talked more and more. She now says "I'm angry!" And stomps her foot instead of biting herself. If she gets very frustrated or is sitting in group time (where she can't stomp her foot) she still bites... It is slowly getting better. For us, it seems to be a phase. I hope your little one adjusts too...
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 6:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• How do I get my toddler to stop biting himself? Developmentally and neurologically healthy children most commonly bite themselves out of frustration coupled with an inability to express emotions by an alternative means. Likewise, such children may bite themselves out of boredom. Generally, such biting behaviors will not purposefully inflict pain or do damage. Working with the child and role-modeling verbal and behavioral ways of expressing his emotions is often helpful. If a toddler demonstrates self-inflicted pain or bodily injury, a consultation with his pediatrician should be arranged. Severe emotional stress or an uncommon neurological condition (such as Lesch-Nyhan syndrome) may be the cause.

from here:   http://www.medicinenet.com/childhood_biting/page2.htm

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• let him !! he will get through it, it hurts him more than you! its only a phase. he will realize that it hurts and stop!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 5:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• i agree with charlotsometimes.i think you should take him to the dr,,exspecially if he doesnt stop. i used to have problems similar like that one when i was little i had to see a therapist which at the time my mom just called a dr, i had a lot of health problems going on and i think that was somehow stress related to it. im not sure, i was very young.praying for your kido.its not as uncommon as you think just not a lot of people talk about it.im not saying its ok. cause a lot of times the person doing it doesnt even want to do it, they just do it for some reason. im no doctor or nurse i just know from experience hope this is just a phase for him and he gets better.
    luckygirl2000

Answer by luckygirl2000 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2011