The fluid in one of the fire extinguishers in our rental house is low. Whose job is it to fill it? The landlord or ours? It's not mentioned in the lease.

How do I get it filled? Do I go to a fire station and have it done? I've only lived in apartments until now and management would handle that by having someone come check them periodically.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 5:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Call your landlord and ask if they'll do it. If they won't, go to the fire station and get it done yourself. You need to have those extinguishers in good condition. If they charge you, get a receipt and if they don't reimburse you, maybe it can be included in your taxes (although I don't know about that).
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:29 AM on May. 18, 2011

Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 5:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Thanks for the reminder, we need to do this as well. Every six year...had no idea it should be done as frequently. Again, I learn something new almost everyday on this site. Thanks ladies.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• im n ot sure id call ur landlord to know
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I would think it is the landlords responsibility.
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• If he supplied them I would think he would fill them. They weren't left behind from the previous tenant were they? I know there is a company that will normally come out and check them and fill them and tag them with new dates to have them checked by. I would for sure call the landlord. I would not ask him who whould though because then he may just say you need to since you are asking. I would just let him know that they need to be checked and that it is low and take it from there.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:24 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I'm thinking it is the landlord's to make sure fire extinguishers, smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are in proper working order before renting a place out. This would include the extinguisher being filled and new batteries in battery operated detectors. After it is rented I think the tenent is responsible for changing batteries and if they have used the extinguisher they would refill it.

Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 12:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I would think the landlord would want the house protected, and so would refill the fire extinguisher.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:51 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I would think the landlord should be responsible for that.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:04 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Call & Ask
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:07 PM on May. 3, 2011