How am I suppose to REACT?????

I have been with the father of my child for 5 years. We aint marryed we have talked about for 2 years now, but never had done it! But we are engaged! We have a wonderful 18 month old child and today while we were out at the mall getting our oil changed in the car my fiance had to go talk to a recuriter in the ARMY office, so i walked in after 15 minutes and when i walked in with our child the main recuriter had told him that he takes the ASVAB test thurday and then he is enlisted into the US ARMY!!

My fiance was a trouble teen and has a record in Cali where we lived we moved to OK over a year ago, and he has been trying to to get in to any branch of any service!!And they all have turned him down!! So he had gave. Until a friend of ours who was in the National Guard got his recuriter to go with! But even here in OK National Guard wouldnt take him but they said ARMY will so for the past month and a half my fiance has been keeping in contact with a recuriter or so i had thought!! He never said a word about being accepted or anything!! And i really didnt think he would be abke to get in because of his record in Cali. But the ARMY did a FBI background check and he came up clean and he is going into the ARMY!!

How am I suppose to react, Im still standing behind him with his choices. But this was spung on me with in the matter of 10 minutes!!

Manda725

Asked by Manda725 at 6:12 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Relationships

• wow, i am sorry hun =( *hug* I went through some thing similar

i cried. alot
    LovinMyJay4

Answer by LovinMyJay4 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Well truth it really didn't spring on you in a matter of 10 minutes. You by our own admission are well aware this is what he has been trying to get in for some time now. You just didn't fully realize that was today..... What did you think was going to happen when he told you that he was going to talk to the recurtiing officer??
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• He will ONLY be accepted IF he passes the test AND passes the physical. AND signs the papers. You go with it if he is accepted. Its likely a 3 year stint and he will get all kinds of benefits and free college money!! Make him marry you BEFORE he go's for basic training so you and the child will get medical.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Every time he said he was going to talk to the recuriter i thought he was still trying to get in, becaus in Cali non of the branches would take him becasue of his record! But here in OK they are taking no problems.
    Manda725

Comment by Manda725 (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Follow vbruno's advice about getting married before he leaves for basic.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 6:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I agree, if he does get accepted, get married before he goes in. They don't give a shit about girlfriends. Shoot, they don't care about wives either, but they'll actually give you benefits as a wife vs just being a girlfriend or mother of his child.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I know how you feel.....
    The good news is, he seems to care for you, and he wants a better life for you and your kid.
    Men take pride of their job, and if this area in his life was problematic for some time, he will
    do what it takes for your well being. He seems like a good husband and a good father.

Life in the Army may be hard for him, so I can tell how much he loves you...
    Smile little girl, don't shed a tear... he'll be back to you soon, and everything will be just fine....
    EscapeGirl

Answer by EscapeGirl at 10:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2011