Can I Take A Cell PHone From My Teen Even If She Bought It?

I just had a teen move into my house on Valentines day when her mother passed away.. she is my sister in-law we have always been really close, we are a very close family! but when it comes to punishing her its so hard.. she doesnt pull her weight around the house she is on the computer all the time or her cell phone.. well i got her a job at my office so she has money she bought a laptop and a cell phone ( we pay the bill) But she is losing the job cause she is so lazy and doesn't clean right.. ! now they only ways that i can think of punishing her is she cant leave on the weekend and no one can come over... orrr to take her cell when she gets home from school and the computer... but can i take them if she bought them.. she is 15 and i am 22 her brother is 24 idk how much respect she has for us..as her guardians

SammiGirl07

Asked by SammiGirl07 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes you can but just remember she will throw the card out on the table saying YOUR NOT MY MOM, but you are the one that got that job and you are the ones paying the bill so yea you can!!
    Manda725

Answer by Manda725 at 6:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• You pay the bill so simply suspend her service. And as far as the you're not my mom... I also see that one coming... Either way you are an adult and she is not so you are in charge. :D Such is life.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Stop paying the bill. If its in your name make her pay the penalty. Try to be understanding though, she's 15 and just lost her mother!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• take out the sim card, the phone wont work without it. you own that part of it, that's what makes the service work.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• How long has it been since her mom died? She could still be depressed from the loss of her mother and still grieving. But, yes you can take the phone away or just suspend the service.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Don't let her take advantage of you guys, I know it has to be hard on all of you but she needs an authority figure and if that's you then you have to do whatever you have to do. I say give her the same rules and consequences you would give your own child. Try talking to her about what you're feeling as far as her not pulling her weight and hopefully she will be reasonable. I hope everything works out
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 8:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• You house, your rules.

By law, persons who have not reached the age of majority (either 18 or 21) cannot legally own anything. If it's in your house, the law says it's yours.  She needs time to grieve.  Does she see a therapist?

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Thank You Guys For All The Advice. Its almost been 4 months since her mothers death, but like i said we were a close family we all lived together for about a year 2 and a half years ago.. and she used to visit all the and she knows how we work we have a 5 year old so we are parents i dont think she is rebelling or anything due to her mothers death she has always been like this and her and her mom used to get into it and her mom would take away her phone.. its just really awkward and hard because we used to be fun friends i would take her out cloths shopping and stuff and her mom was really strict, so i think she thinks she is getting a free ride now and her brother isnt gonna have that but he goes over board on yelling and can be a drama queen lol.. and i dont like yelling and fighting so i usually talk him down and tell him how to handle things.. but idk how too on this.. its so hard and awkward
    SammiGirl07

Comment by SammiGirl07 (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I would take the phone away for sure. For one,.. you pay the bill. And for two... She is living under your roof! You make the rules, not her. You can't let her think she can get away with murder! Or she will run you and your house before it's all said and done. Sit her down and explain to her what she's doing that is making you nuts. THen tell her what is going to happen if she doesn't straighten up! Then it's up to her. If she continues to act like that then she loses the phone and it was all her choice.
    jrsmmama

Answer by jrsmmama at 12:16 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Please get her professional help; she has suffered a terrible loss

Answer by rkoloms at 9:03 AM on May. 1, 2011