Do you know about the big worries about girls feet

me and my step daughter see a podiatrist and i'm shocked how Meany people do not know the risk to young girl feet the new fashions cause . there more feet problems with teen girls than ever before and experts believe it's the new  fashion we letting areunder 16 wear . now a lot of us know that high heal or pointer ballet shoes are bad for our Young kids feet but there other kinds you prob never thought

so on the short list of shoes and boots podiatrist are warning are the leading causes of these problems are ugg style boots, slip on shoes and ballet like shoes ( dolly shoes) all  are very fashionable

STYLES TO AVOID

• Rubber clogs have insufficient support at the heel and cause children to walk in an out-toed (Charlie Chaplin) position, which can cause knee and joint problems.
  • Ballet pumps are also too flat and often flimsy, offering insufficient support, which means you have to clench toes to keep the shoe on.
  • Ugg boots should be worn as slippers only (as designed) as they offer little support.
  • Very flat shoes such as plimsolls can also cause arch fatigue or arch pain, which can in turn lead to long-term flat feet and knee and back pain.
  • High heels should be avoided because of the pressure they put on growing toes. Slip-ons allow feet to slip forward, crushing the toes.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A SHOE

A firm heel cup is important because the heel acts as the support of the foot and must be held in a straight position so that it does not lean in or out too much, leading to pain and posture problems. If you can easily press in the sides of the heel, it is not providing enough support for the growing foot.

• You need a strap or other fastening such as Velcro or laces to hold the foot in place so it does not slip forward and cause the toes to scrunch and claw. This damages the front of the foot and leads to the development of hammer toes (where the toes buckle) and clawed toes, which can become permanent.
  • Soles should be flexible, but only at the ball of the foot, not at the mid-point, and with sufficient cushioning. The sole should not be rigid, but nor should you be able to roll it up into a ball or bend it in half. A supportive sole must be robust enough for walking, running and skipping.
  • Shoes should be made from breathable, water-resistant material such as leather, canvas and other modern fabrics. Feet sweat, particularly if you are active, as children are. If feet cannot breathe, this can lead to fungal infections  -  not to mention a bad smell.
  • Expect to spend £25 to £40 on a well-made, properly fitted pair of shoes. They are an investment for good foot health even if children outgrow them quickly.

sorry about the spelling i'm dyslexic

feralkitten

Asked by feralkitten at 6:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Great info!
    Ms.Maricel

Answer by Ms.Maricel at 6:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• P.S. someone slap Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes for me.

You should not be able to see your 4 year olds veins popping out when they wear shoes. Poor thing, if I'm walking around town running errands like it looks like Suri is doing than heels would be killer on the feet.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 6:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• So I should be wearing the velcro shoes my grandma wears so I can have support for my feet?

Thank god I have a boy and I don't have to deal with the whole you're too young for heels, ugg boots are so ugly with shorts, you're flats have no support talks.

With my son it's they fit well, let's get them in every color.

I like heels too by the way.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 6:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Actually ugg boots were designed for in Australia and new Zealand for sheep farmers the originals were made with a hard sole .

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• i don't know what the looked like back then but the ones on sale no matter of the brand do not support kids feet enough and cause problems with the wears walking on the side of there foot its not just causing problems for kids adults are having the same problems how ever are feet are fully formed where as children's are not

feralkitten

Comment by feralkitten (original poster) at 6:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• "so I should be wearing the velcro shoes my grandma wears so I can have support for my feet?" your feet are already fully formed so its not as important what you were so i'm not saying anyone over 16 should not wear stuff , wear as children's feet are still forming right up till they are 16 . what shoes you wear as a child can have permanent effect on you causing problems with back or knee problems when your an adult as well as feet problems . high heals can causing problems with how you ham string forms as well .

feralkitten

Comment by feralkitten (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2011