Trying to find a dog.

My daughter has been bit in the face, and has had her face trampled on by dogs at her stupid fathers house. But, we don't want an ankle biter! A dog that is good natured, you find easily trained and is not a HUGE dog. My husband isn't ready for one. But I plan on making 10000 by the end of summer with my business for out house.. Guess what is going to come with it :)! Friend me, send me pic's and any advice would be GREAT!

kbishop8688

Asked by kbishop8688 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Pets

• Why would you want a dog if your child has had bad experiences with them and your husband isn't ready?
    Bad idea.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 7:17 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• It's not that my dh isn't ready, but he doesn't want to train it! As far as my daughter goes that's why I want a family dog. The bad experience is from nothing that she has done. She was placed in situations that she should not have been placed in at all! In fact he thinks there is nothing wrong with what happened (mainly because he wasn't watching her). I have heard that some dogs are better with family and children than others. That is why I am being picky about the whole thing because I want a dog that everyone in the family can get along with. I personally love cats and would rather get 1 or 2, but dh REFUSES even if we were to declaw them (can't have them outside in this area anyway)
    kbishop8688

Comment by kbishop8688 (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• boxers are very family friendly and generally pack dogs. they look out for family, and mine is that way. he was pretty easy to train, of course the whole process can be exhausting no matter what kind of dog you buy. I love my boxer and I have never once worried that he might hurt my daughter, from birth until now at 3. She beats on him, torments him, plays with him and never once has bitten her. now he has knocked her over on a few occasions, not purposely of course. they are a bigger dog than you might want, and like all breeds they come with some possible issues. mine has skin allergies which is common in boxers, but not all. they also only live for about 9-11 years. mine is now 5.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 7:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Cocker Spaniels are good with kids, are a nice size and cute. We had a Golden Retriever mix and she was the best dog you could ever ask for. Retreivers are good dogs, but may can get pretty big. Good luck. I can understand that you don't want your daughter to be afraid of dogs. We have had friends children come over and were terrified of our dog.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I don't mind big dogs, it's HUGE dog's I don't want. My mother inlaw has a ku-vaz (that's not the real spelling but it's how you say it). The knocking over is okay, but apparently while on her father's time she was not only knocked over but the dog was basically wrestling with her and stepping all over her face.. We got her about 6 hrs after it happened and her face was STILL swollen and pretty badly bruised. I just want a dog that is friendly, I know she has to have respect for it but I don't want her to be petting the dog and be bitten (it's happened before with his dog). and NO ladies.. there is nothing I can do about it, I have already tried. Thank you for the input. I am still waiting on pic's though! :)
    kbishop8688

Comment by kbishop8688 (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• DO NOT buy a dog unless the entire family want it and will work with it. A dog needs to feel as though it is part of the family (they are pack animals remember) and in order for it to be properly trained it needs consistance from ALL members of the family. Plus, they are a lot of work ...need walking at least twice a day, feeding, grooming, bathing, vets bills, playing and training ....you'll want help with that and will end up resenting the dog if your husband isn't involved. We have 3 dogs (an english cocker, a daschund and a golden retriever) and they are our lives really, we do everything as a family, including the dogs. This means i have 3 happy dogs...whereas if my family weren't on board, there would definitley be a divide.

i dont know anything about american cocker spaniels, but english ones are wonderful and are the perfect size really. I would also reccomend Labs and golden retrievers- have owned both breeds.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 9:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• thanks knickers... But my DH is a big push over and would love the thing really (even if it was a cat, but he's right about the litter box stuff). We were talking about labs and golden retrievers.. lots of hair with the golden ones though!! I have personally never heard anything on the labs, but dh says they are good.. thanks for the info again!
    kbishop8688

Comment by kbishop8688 (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I have had two amazingly, family friendly dogs. Both were ideal with children. One was a Collie/Samoyed mix (large and needed lots of space/exercise though) and the dog we have now. She is a King Charles mix. We honestly don't know what she is mixed with, but she is a perfect dog and I have only heard good things about Cavalier King Charles. She is smaller (20 pounds), but is not an "ankle biter" type.

Both of our dogs came from animal shelters. They are certain ways to "test" the dog to make sure how they will be with your child. If you are getting a puppy, I would recommend a calmer one. I know the rowdy ones that want to jump in your face are super cute, but I think under the circumstances you daughter needs a calmer dog. Go for one that seems friendly, but isn't falling all over itself trying to make sure it gets ALL your attention. Cont....
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 11:58 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• If you go for an older dog, many from shelters are already house broken and been exposed to children before. You can "test" them by doing things like jumping, talking loud, tugging on their ears and tails, petting a little rougher than normal. I know all that sounds really silly, but how the dog reacts to you will tell you exactly how they would handle the same behavior from your child. You want a dog that can take it all in stride without getting stressed or annoyed. A calm, friendly dog = a good dog/child relationship for your daughter.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 12:01 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• That all seems a little mean, but i never really thought about that. At the shelter here they usually have discarded dogs. And if the dog is not family friendly they won't let someone with a child take it home. I was actually thinking about getting a pure breed though. My DH has a dog that is at his mothers because she was a mixed. While she was great with myself and was a very protective dog of the house she would randomly growl at Lily and we didn't want it to get worse so we kept them apart until his mother took her. She is a WONDERFUL dog, perfectly trained, a good protector, medium sized and LOVES to play, but it's not worth my dd safety you know? Any other ideas like asmcbride's?
    kbishop8688

Comment by kbishop8688 (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2011