Civility on the way out? Even dogs are getting in on the act ~

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/fashion/28baddogs.html?ref=style&gwh=7F994FE875E968A78DA728A17AC25C6B

Does your dog behave in public? 

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:12 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Pets

• whoever wrote this article knows nothing about dogs. Pampered dogs behave this way BECAUSE they are pampered! Dogs are not meant to be in a purse or a canopy bed. They need to run, play fetch, get dirty, and be dogs! I have NEVER had a dog behave this way because they are always properly exercised, received obedience training and they know that I am top dog. When you pamper your dog to the extent these dogs are, you are putting them in the leadership position which causes them to display these kinds of behaviors. There is nothing wrong with giving your dog the best you can, but there's a difference between giving them the best and giving up the position of power in your home to them.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I agree so much with MamaStuart. People have an issue with disciplining their pets, and letting them know they are NOT the alpha of the household. I am not a dog person, but my husband has a dog anyways and we properly trained him and treat him like a dog. There are parts of the house he is NOT allowed in, he gets attention from us on our OWN terms. I just don't get how people feel bad about disciplining their pet. Our dog respects us, and loves us because he gets playtime, walks, attention when his "alpha" owners give it to him, and has proper training. There are just some places a dog does not belong!
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 5:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I am not a current dog owner but my parents and in laws both live in my same town and each own a dog. my kids (and I) spend time w/ grandma's VERY well trained 200 pound great Pyrenees and other grandma's nippy, yippy, snarling growling 5 pound chorkie. I've seen some bad boys at the dog park too. I agree its alot about the owner and their parenting style
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:09 AM on May. 1, 2011

• My dog is schizo and I can't take her anywhere. lol She barks at everyone, even though she is not an aggressive dog and normally loves people. She acts all big and bad, but really she's a big baby. She's a chihuahua/dachshund mix and a pain in the butt. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:56 PM on Apr. 29, 2011