Autistic kids can't play at the normal parks, do you agree?

I must say I don't like how the mother generalize in said " "If a child with autism tries to climb on some of this equipment could easily fall,” Garza said. “They're not going to see that the top of the rim has a ground." it seem she is assuming every child with autism is alike. ( and yes I dealt with children with autism and other special needs before.) Children I dealt with enjoy the parks i took them too. Somebody on facebook actual said it should be gates around parks so disabled children can't run out of them. really a gate. so far all the kids i see running out the parks are the " normal " ones. let me say children with psychical special needs should have there equipment. but not for stuff like autism or down syndrome etc. http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=608232

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• if your child cant climb on the equipment, or other issues i suggest going to a different playground? .. as far as gates - i have seen playgrounds with gates around it but if you PAY ATTENTION to your children they wont take off!! Just because they are disabled doesn't mean they are the only kids that take off and fall off things!!!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 7:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I couldn't finish the video because my child was talking to me but from the looks of the playground some improvements could be made. For a 4 year old park it didn't have very good equipment... Maybe I am spoiled. All out playgrounds have wheel chair access, at least on special swing, both high and low equipment and some do have fences for one way in and out. While she did seem to be generalizing it's not entirely insane what she is asking for.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Why exactly is there a big issue about a special needs park? I mean seriously, if your child doesn't need it then why complain about it? If the money is there for one to be built then great for the kids who do need them...and frankly I have 4 children so I would love some parks with some gates.
    Anonymous

• Now you seem to be generalizing... What makes you think *some* children with Autism and Downs syndrome would benefit from specialized equipment such as a high back swing, higher railings on play equipment, a ramp or stains rather than a ladder... *Some * children with Autism and downs have a noted lack or age age appropriate coordination.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• @ but Mommie I never said children with autism and down syndrome would benefits form specialize equipment.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I messed up. It should have said 'What makes you think *some* children with Autism and Downs syndrome wouldn't benefit'

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• oh i see. i'm saying people need to stop treating special needs kids like they have a special need.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• But some of them do. NOT all. My son is Autistic and clumsy but not as much as some. I can feel comfortable with him on most equipment but not all kids even with in disabilities are the same. Some children with mod-sever conditions such as,sticking with your examples, Autism and Downs have MARKED delays in physical attributes such as climbing and sitting/balancing in a standard swing. I don;t think any one is suggesting the park be built FOR special needs kids I think they are pushing for a more integrated park. One that can be fun for all no matter what the need is, even if it just for stairs or a ramp at one end vs just a ladder and a rope climb. It doesn't effect the value of the park to 'normal' kids it just makes it a better place to share. Check out this design.  Nothing is lost but a whole lot is gained!

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Here is another good one

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Changing the title of you post isn't going to change my answer but I will add one last thing. Why doe sit matter *Who* would benefit? What matter is SOMEONE would. An inclusion playground is a place to celebrate children of all abilities. It matters not who's idea it was or what the original driving purpose was.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2011