We are thinking of getting a cat. What is the main thing between a cat and a dog?

We have always been a dog family. We had to put our dog down a couple of months ago and we are thinking of getting a cat instead. I know that cats go into little boxes, but do they scratch things and go to the bathroom everywhere? I am a little afraid.

3mom627

Asked by 3mom627 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Pets

• my advice is get a female cat and a tall cat post for climbing and scratching my cat goes nuts for hers and keep a water spray bottle after the fifth or so spray they learn that what they are doing is wrong also i've found female cats are quite loving and don't hover they cuddle and then leave you alone but alway know when you need some more cuddle time as for the litter box don't worry about it scoop once a day and use pet friendly arm and hammer powder if you find that they have accidents outside of it take them to the groomer and explain they will shave there hind quarters and it cuts down on any poo sticking enjoy your new pet
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 6:00 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Well, new puppies chew your stuff and kitten scratch it up... either one can be trained- seriously you can train a cat.
    Puppies have accidents Cats are pretty naturally litter trained but they do sometimes 'miss' the box. by standing by the edge
    Dogs or cats can be either very cuddly or very anti-social dogs unlike cats can be taught to be nice and snuggle
    Vaccines are about the same' fixing a cat is less than a large dog
    Dogs have to be walked- cats not so much but a laser pointer can be fun!
    People own dogs but cats own people!! Cats have a major superiority complex

I am a cat person

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My cats were 100% litter trained from the day I brought them home as kittens. They do not go potty anywhere but in their box. They are much more independent than a dog, which is a plus for us and why I like them better than dogs. lol Mine 'talk' to me, and answer when I talk to them, and they are affectionate without being a slobbery, wagging mess. I do have two dogs, so I'm not a dog-hater, but I love my kitties :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• It's probably best to get a female cat their less likely to go outside their litter box in my experience anyways. Get a scratch post that has catnip imbedded in it. Cats go crazy over catnip.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Cats are easy keepers! If you provide a litter box in a quiet area, and provide scratching posts and toys, you'll be fine. Just like dogs, you will need to trim their nails often. I have 3 cats and 2 dogs. Comparatively, dogs are high maintence! Less brushing, less feeding, no bathing, no walking. Good Luck!
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 7:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I have 4 cats from the Humane Society and none of them scratch where they shouldn't. But it depends on the cat and if u r willing to train them and it sounds like you aren't. I mean, honestly, to ask if they go to the bathroom everywhere? U think millions of people in America would own cats if they peed and scratched on everything?
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• i agree with almost everything said above except declawing. This is a very cruel procedure for a cat and is illegal in some countries . There are ways of deterring cats from clawing your furniture - get a scratching post and also talk to your vet..

You must change the litter box frequently , cats like a clean toilet just as people do . Then it won't stink . Keep the litter box and their food in quiet , low-traffic areas, not near anything noisy . Cats can be very fastidious about such things. just like humans .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• You shoudl really spend some time around cats before getting one for your family. They are independent 9most of them) They each have their own personality and likes and dislikes, just like people. Where (generally speaking) dogs are just happy to have owners and "Oh Hi Hi Hi Hi Hi! You have food? Are we going out? Can we play? Oh! Yay I get attention!" cat like their space. If you are expecting a sat to jump on you first thing when you walk in the door you might be seriously disappointed. Then again you might just end up with a cat that does that.

What I am saying is- getting a cat is like luck of the draw. You might get a social one, you might get one that doesn't want to be around people. But you need to accept them for who they are and not treat them like a dog.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 6:08 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• They scratch in the beginning when they are kittens. They outgrow it. Mine never went anywhere but the litter box. The main problem is the litter box. It always smells and is never clean. Right after you clean it, they go. I loved my cats. Get 2. They will play together.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• my opinion is if you are going to get a cat you might not want to have a small kid in the house.I have a cat it is so sweet but i prefer a dog too. we have a cat and a dog.both cat and dog are really CUTE!!this isn't my opinion but I think you should get a cat.but a dog doesn't scratch a lot.if you are getting a cat or a dog I think you should check the breeds.that's always very important when buying a cat or dog. hope this helps!
    laurynb

Answer by laurynb at 8:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2011