My daugheter is 9 months old. she is taking her pants off and undoing her diaper. today she did that and peed on my mom. is it time to start thinking about potty training her and if so how do i start. this is my first child

kristigayle32

Asked by kristigayle32 at 8:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 9 months old ??? Not time for potty training.. Sounds like you have to find creative ways to keep the diaper on..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• no, she's too young to control her sphincter muscles. this doesn't happen until around 18 months. google "signs of readiness for potty training" and it will give you a breakdown of when your child is truly ready.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Wow, 9 months would be a really early potty trained child! Good for you guys if she is ready... but if you can't communicate with her and her with you that may be hard. She might just like to be diaper-less :)
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 8:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• it's a stripping/naked phase probably and not potty training readiness. she doesn't have the motor skills or muscle control needed yet.

I'd suggest some appropriate naked time daily (try finger paints naked in the tub! non toxic of course, or else pudding painting) and for the rest of the time chop the feet off some sleepers and put them on backwards to prevent stripping
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• WAY TO YOUNG for potty training. You have about 2 years before she will be ready. She is just going through the stripping phase. To keep the diaper on, put it on backwards or tape it on.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Too early for potty training, moms usually start potty training between 18 months and 2 1/2 yrs old.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I agree with the PPs...probably too young to try potty training with any success, but they all go through "naked" phases.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• my dd use to take her diaper off when she was about 1,till i put it on backwards lol,she couldent get it off then
    twolilgirls712

Answer by twolilgirls712 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Too early for potty training. Time for onsies she can't undo. Full zip outfits.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• i had to stop putting my dd in dresses so she would stop taking her diaper off! drives me nuts! but my dd is 14 months and ive been potty training her for the last 2 months! she has gone potty in her potty everyday this week im so excited! i trying to get her signs down for when she pees and poops! but we r also learning the sign for bath room to so she can tell me when she wants to go! im not pushing her im just setting her on it so she knows wat it is for! she loves to sit on her potty!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2011