Help....please? :)

I'm planning on making chocolate tamales tomorrow. I know that you're supposed to steam them, but I don't have a double boiler or a steamer. Can I steam the tamales while they are in the water, or can I put the pot on top of a skillet of boiling water? First time trying to make tamales, so any help would be appreciated :)

proudmom2510

Asked by proudmom2510 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Take aluminum foil and crumple it up. Use the balls to fill the bottom of a pot. Take a smaller pot and flatten the tops. Add about 1/2" of water. take a sheet of foil, pierce it with a fork all over, spray it with no stick and set it on top. put tamales on this, heat to simmer (listen for the sound) cover and steam
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 8:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Do you have a cooling rack or metal colander that would fit inside a pot? That will make an impromptu steamer.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• whenever i steam stuff, i put them in a skillet of just an inch or so of water and have the heat on medium low, covered.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Darn. No I don't have a cooling rack or colander. I have a cookie sheet and some pans. That's about all the cooking appliances I've got.
    proudmom2510

Comment by proudmom2510 (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2011