How do I keep my hardwood floors clean?

A couple months ago, we moved into an old house. The floors are original hardwood and some of the slats have grooves betweent them as wide as 1/8 inch. I sweep them daily and use Murphy's oil twice weekly- three times if needed. Today I used the hose on my sweeper to sweep the best I could the 'cracks' in my hardwood flooring. Mind you this is very old HW floors- there was still some stuff that was 'stuck' in the grooves. Any suggestions on getting this out? I considered an old gift card, then re-suctioning them, but that wont work for the wider grooves and for many of the slats that are pretty tight with tiny give between them it won't work at all.
Any suggestions?

MamaCarterof5

Asked by MamaCarterof5 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Yes- keep people off of them- no walking allowed- or-- add carpet!-- lol...no seriously- that is a very Good Question-- sorry I have no answer!--- If you find out what to do- let me know- my entire house is nothing but hardwood floors- they echo every noise!-- lol... I have added lots of rugs and am asking for an area rug for Christmas... I do use a floor dry vac on the floor to help me pick up the dirt-- my mom uses a system where it is a long broom like thing with a fabric sheet thingie on the bottom and it picks up dust (can't remember the name of it)-- but it doesn't help for people like us who have the "big cracks"... so email me if you find a real solution...HUGS, Mere.
    Happy-Duckof6

Answer by Happy-Duckof6 at 12:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I couldn't tell you. We have hard wood. Chances are is that in the summer they will expand, and you won't hav ethe gaps. I don't think there is much you can do aside from scraping it all out, and maybe adding a wood refinisher that will kind of fill in the gaps until summer comes and it expands again.
    momof5kiki

Answer by momof5kiki at 9:04 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Clean as best as you can and then cover them in rugs. That keeps the wear and tear off of them. Also when you are cleaning..don't use anything other that Murphys and only do that sporadically. Most wood floor cleaners leave residue. I used to just use straight water.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:17 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• If you have the abilty, I think the best thing to do would be to restore them, and if you can't, lay something on top, like a carpet or carpet runner.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 10:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2008