What do you do when they're just trying to help, but...?

Earlier today, I was in another room working on something else, and DD managed to find the Comet and dump it all over the bathroom and her bedroom. I've cleaned the part that was in her bedroom first and put her down for a nap. She's seen me use comet on the toilets and tubs before, so I wondered if she was just trying to help me get my chores done?

AmourSpork

Asked by AmourSpork at 8:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• lock up the comet maybe?
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 8:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Probably. You need to find things that she can do to "help" (or minimize harm), like sweeping with the dustpan and brush, helping you dry the floor with a rag, etc.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I tell mine, well when they were little ' Thank you! Mommy do!' Now that they are bigger(3&6) it has become more of a 'No, Thank you for wanting to help but this is a mommy do.' Yeah it's dumb but the mommy do thing stuck.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I would make sure she knows chemicals and stuff are off limits, but that I would love for her to help me when I'm doing chores. My daughter offers to do chores (when she was littler and offered to help fold the laundry i wanted to cringe, but didn't want to deter) now she picks things and usually it's in her realm but she loves to do dishes and I just allow her to do the kids ones, nothing breakable. It's easier now though because she's 5 and knows what she's allowed to do or not.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 8:57 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I agree with the reply about showing her other ways to help. Ask her to help dust maybe or get her a little broom for her to use to help. I would also tell her what things she isn't supposed to tough and why. She's old enough to understand. :-) I had to tell my 2 1/2 year old that when I'm cleaning these things (insert names of cleaners) are not for her to touch (she kept trying to grab them so she could spray things down herself). I explained that they're only for grownups to use and that they can hurt people if they aren't used right. It might've helped that she has a little sister-I was able to say that I didn't want Naomi to get it because it could give her owies and Rachel immediately gave the cleaner back to me. Anyways, just try explaining and then showing her those little jobs that she can help with. Maybe even have a drawer with things like dust rags that she can reach so she can clean all by herself.
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 1:47 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Yes kids love to help it makes them feel like an adult and they want to make you proud of them. My daughter helps me all the time and she is just so happy to be able to help me and spend time with me and in her mind she feels more grown up by doing it. Kids always want to be like there parents we are there role models. You just need t o explain to your child that before you start cleaning that there are certain things only parents can touch and use and then give them something, anything to do just so the feel there helping you and keeps them busy trust me they appreciate that so much and it makes them feel closer to them. Sometimes just the littlest things will make our kids happy and feel like they are doing it to make us happy because they want to see us happy just like we like to see them happy. Well i hope this helps. Just remember if your child is able to help if if its something small they fell appreciated.
    Katrina K.

Answer by Katrina K. at 7:21 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I try really hard to give her things she is able to help with. She wipes counters with a wet sponge. Puts away the dishes that don't clink (glass) and puts laundry in the hamper...
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 8:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• @Ethans_Ma, I thought it was on a high shelf in one of the linen closets. My little angel has Lockpicking 400 (and if you know what MMORPG I've just referenced you're as nerdy as I am, lol).
    AmourSpork

Comment by AmourSpork (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2011