Should I force my daugther to do Gymanstics ?

My daugther has a natural talent for gymnanstics she made spring team level four in less than a year most of the girl in her team been trying to make team for a year and half . I think she just was meant to do gymnastics and she is great at it.

The problem is that she really doesn't like the CONDITONING part of the training this is the part where she does the push ups the running the climing the rope . She goes 3 x a week for 4 hours and wants OUT . I ask her why and she says she hates doing conditioning. I have to pretty much force her to go because sometimes she almost crys saying she can't stand how hard the coach pushes them .
She is 7 years old and when I go see her practice I can tell she is not having a good time. She is SO GOOD AT IT yet she hates being there. I know is a no brainer question and that I should just take her out of the classes but if you know your kid has a talent and doesn't persue it then ? and also she loves the backflips and carwheels is just the conditionig part she hates...

What to do!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you know what may be a better option w/o all the conditioning is cheerleading. I know that sounds funny but it has come a long way as a sport and there are alot of acrobatics now involved and she just may enjoy that better.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 9:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I would find a gym that focused more on the fun aspects and less on preparing future Olympians. That is obviously not what she wants right now.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• It's 4 hrs at a time, 3x a week?

Would you want to be forced to do something that much that you hated (the conditioning etc)? I'd much rather let my kid enjoy a little natural talent than strip them of their enjoyment of said talent.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 9:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• No, don't force her. Just because she is good at it doesn't mean she has to excel and make it her life. It can be a nice hobby that she enjoys. If you force her she will eventually hate it all and not do it ever. Let her be a kid and just have fun.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Or maybe take her to a gym that's not so stinkin hardcore. Like a once a week or twice a week for an hour
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 9:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• short answer....no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• At 7, being forced into doing something that intensive 12 hours a week (unless you're training for the Olympics) is just ridiculous. I agree with but mommie - let her keep the fun aspect.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 9:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• That's way too much for a child of that age IMO.... if she hates it why would you want her to do it? So she can win an olympic medal or something? I am sure she will be good at thinks she enjoys also, there is still plenty of time to see what other talents she has in store for ya!
    Ethans_Ma

• If you payed for a certain amount of time? Tell her you will go tell what you paid for ends. Then she can choose to stop.

Answer by louise2 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• It looks like you answered your own question.

See if there is a scaled back program; a gymnastics for fun class. Let your daughter know that if she chooses that route she doesn't get to do XYZ (competitions, special teams at the gym, whatever it is).

I would encourage you to, if you feel comfortable with it, get her to finish the current cycle, however they run. Month or season. Then it is choosing a different program for next year, not quitting. For my kids I let them choose not to do a program, but if they are in it they are in it for the season/year. That way they have time to think about what they really want, not just quit when frustrated. And they are learning commitment. (My DDs are 6 and 3).

I do think you should encourage your children in their strengths, and not let them quit at the first sign of frustration/resistance/trial. But that doesn't mean competition level on everything. (But it could on some!)
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2011