TEMPER TANTRUMS! HELP :(

My daughter is a year and half. We have been together almost 24/7 since birth minus the few times that she has stayed with a sitter or friends. When she is with our friends alone, they all say how good she is and well mannered and for the most part she really is. For the last 5 months she has been getting worse and worse with temper tantrums. Everyone wants to blame it on her teething but it's DEFINETLY not that. I know this for a fact because she only acts out when she does not get her way. We are confined to our house because she will not 'allow' us to go anywhere and if we do take her somewhere we have to go like the grocery store she throws major tempur tantrums, hits herself, hits her face on the cart, screams, cries, tries to jump out of the car while is moving...I'm so stressed and don't know what to do. I try to discipline her and so does my husband but she just isn't improving. None of my family or friends has children who act like this so they can't really give any advice. I can tell you that I am nothing but a great mother, I never discipline with violence or screaming and I don't know what i'm doing wrong, or not doing that I should be doing. Any help? Does this eventually get better? Is this a normal tempermant?

Humanerror99

Asked by Humanerror99 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• military spouse so hubby is gone a lot which leaves...me! My two year old girly does time outs. I will sit her down until she says she will be a good girl and calm down. she has to say sorry with a hug and kiss. In public...well for one my child will NOT keep me in the house over fits. I paid 10 bucks for a little shopping cart at walmart. I let Breelyn take it with her and make a game like shes a big girl. I say car ride and I let her get her glasses and little purse like mommy to make her feel big and we head out. I like to let her grab the items in the store and put them in her own cart. its great distraction for her when she can be a helper. I also never let her know she is frustrating me cuz her fit will last longer I noticed. stay calm mainly and be consistent. she gets to acting crazy off to her she go's and walk away. even in public just say sorry for ya im busy lol she will get the point that she isnt getting her way
    breezybaby19

Answer by breezybaby19 at 12:58 AM on May. 1, 2011

• We have this problem with my 2 year old grandDD. She is good with me alone. But when she is with her mom she has fits. I told my daughter it is the way she is raising her. That she allows her to have the fits. Every time my DD tries to discipline her she has a fit then my dd stops disciplining her.

Answer by louise2 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• What do you to discipline her? With my daughter I would put her in her room, by herself. T.V. is not allowed. When she calms down she can come out. I do not believe in hitting either, but I used other methods- like kneeling on her knees (does not seem like much, but after five minutes of not being allowed to move, it does get painful. If that does not do it, make her hold a book in each hand, arms outstretched. She is not allowed to let her arms drop. Then there is the old tried and true method of sticking her in the corner. You need to curb these temper tantrums now, because they will only get worse the more she gets away with it.
    pinwheel

Answer by pinwheel at 9:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Sounds like she started the terrible two's early. It's a lot of stimulation for them at that age. Forget about taking them to a restaurant lol. If you're truly concerned and i would be if she's banging herself around maybe she should be evaluated by a doctor or psychologist.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 2:14 AM on Apr. 30, 2011