Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Should I call CPS??

When my neighbor's children come to visit their two year old grand son is never is a car seat. In fast most commonly he's sitting on someone lap in the front seat and sometimes even just standing in the front seat. I don't feel like I really know them well enough to try and talk to them about myself, so should I call cps???

I get sick every time I think about her hitting the breaks too hard and what would happen to the their son.

Answer Question

Asked by PaCsSupermom at 9:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 12 (701 Credits)
Answers (19)
  • Have you told your neighbor that carseats are the law? If you've kindly talked to her and expressed your concern & she blows you off, then yes, I'd call the po-po.

    Answer by EgoTryptophan at 9:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • If you aren't comfortable talking to them about it then yes. They aren't going to loose their child to CPS for that but if they don't get a car seat, well, they very well may loose their child that way.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 9:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • just call the police, they will either scare her or call cps and she will be provided an appropriate carseat, maybe its a money thing, for all I know???

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • Not CPS . Talk to the parents and kindly but firmly point out what they are doing is illegal

    Answer by janet116 at 9:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • I'm confused as to why you can't talk to her,but you'd go ahead and call CPS.....What is she figured it out and just asked you why you didn't voice your concerns to her first!? Try a nice note. If it continues,THEN call CPS

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • To everyone why wants to know why I don't just talk to them first.

    How would you feel if someone you didn't know walked up to you and told you that you're doing something illegal and you might kill your kid??

    You really think that they don't know it's illegal??

    Comment by PaCsSupermom (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • I would make an anonymous card just stating your concern...with a firm warning.....something like.... I am very concerned for your child's welfare. Im not sure what the situation is and why he is not in a carseat. I felt this card would be a better approach before contacting enforcement. Im not trying to be mean...but am more concerned with his safety than your feelings. Please get him in a safety seat...or it will result in contacting the police or other officials.

    I really think this would solve the issue.... but if not I would then follow through with the police... and if continues then CPS...

    Answer by mdbunch at 9:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • You can make a call and anonymously say I've observed this, and let CPS handle it. I wouldn't go to them because you stated you don't know them very well, and you never know how people may respond. Though if I thought it was a money thing I would go to the neighbor and say, hey I have this extra carseat, does your grandson happen to need one?

    Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 9:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • Love Mdbunch's response.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • It probably wouldn't be a CPS issue, but you could always call and ask. Maybe even call the non-emergency police number the next time they are over, and say that you saw the family pull up and they don't have a car seat for their child. With any luck, they MIGHT send an officer over to deliver a warning. Or get a flyer about car seat safety and put it on their windshield while they're inside!!!

    Answer by NickiKidsOnGo at 10:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
What do i do?

Next question overall (Pregnancy)