DO you feel like an authoritarian to other's children?

Idk if it is because I work with kids, ages 3-12, on a regular basis at an after school program, or if it just being a mom, but if I see another kid, say at a play ground, who takes from a smaller child I step in and try to teach them to share and wait and not take from others, but this is obviously if the parent seems to not care or not be around. It may seem pushy. what do you think?

Also, I have a number of siblings who will come to the after school program and they tend to hit one another, I have been known to make the older sibling go home early, if necessary, or seperate the older from younger if I have enough volunteers. We have a no violence policy and this pertains, to a basic level, for the kids too, and I understand sibling s fight but my rule is how you act at home is how you act at home, if you want to pick on little kids around me you will leave...Period. Big inconvenience for parents.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 9:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I do not think it's okay for you to tell someone else's child how to act at the playground. If their child's behavior is that bad and that big of a problem, take it up with the parent and not the kid....but honestly if I saw a stranger parenting my child, I would be LIVID.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with you telling a child that he/she needs to keep their hand to themselves, share, and don't take from others.Talk to the parents and tell them how their child is misbehaving.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Yeah givingtreemommy thats what I'm talking about.
    usually the convo will go something like
    "I see you both want to play with this toy, maybe you both could play together" or something like that...Idk if when I step in and say that if it is pushy, like oerbearing, not to the child, but maybe to the parent???

The after school program is at a shelter, so when I send them home they are literally snet down the hall to their room so it's not like thir parent has to come gert them. for example, I'll call him Dee.
    Dee hit a 3 year old point blank in the face with a dodge ball, 3 year old was not playing with him,. and Dee is 12. Dee got sent to his room and I have referred hium to anger management because he is like this all of the time, just very angry.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• no i agree with all you say yes step up teach other kids all that
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 10:33 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I was a childcare worker for over 10years before I had my dd so I know what you are talking about. I agree with you and I see myself doing the same thing. daily.
    yummysmummy

Answer by yummysmummy at 6:03 PM on Apr. 30, 2011