Can my 11 month old throw up in her sleep and die?

I am intensely paranoid, I know, I have woken up to a person that had died in their sleep and yeah. Anyway, she has the flu super bad she threw up after every meal today we got her to keep down some BM and some ginger ale/pedialyte mixture. She wouldn't eat the teething biscuit I gave her so her tummy is pretty empty. But that didn't stop her this morning when she threw up her BM and water so I don't know if she will throw up tonight and if so is she going to choke on it? she has been sleeping in her own room for about 3 months now, when we finally got her out of our bed and to stop needing to nurse to sleep. She will no longer sleep in our bed, she wants to be awake and play when she is in our bed now, I tried that last time she was sick. What do I do?? I can't sleep, I have to check on her constantly.

SavanaF.

Asked by SavanaF. at 10:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Kids' Health

• All of my kids acid reflux AND sleep apnia so they stopped breathing in their sleep. It keeps me from getting much sleep too so I understand how you feel! The good thing is that she is LESS likely now to choke in her sleep because she has matured and is capable of self preservation in the aspect of choking ... her body will SWALLOW what comes up, she might aspirate a lil of it but I doubt she would choke and die at this age. Best advice would be to find a way to elevate her a lil as if she were in a reclined position so her head is higher instead of flat, that will help prevent the vomitting in the first place. Good luck mama.
    teardrop_7060

Answer by teardrop_7060 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• i would elevate her! and when my dd is sick i just sleep in her room on the floor!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Maybe you should put her on her side to sleep? That way if she does throw up it is more likely to come out. She should be fine though. I had the same worries when my little boy was little and sick. Just keep an eye on her. I hope she gets feeling better!
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 12:13 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• will she sleep in her backwards facing carseat? you could try that...it will keep her elevated and if she's stuffed up it will help her breath better
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• try propping her up, or placing her on her side. Hope she's better soon mama!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:08 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I'd try putting her on her side, too.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:34 PM on May. 5, 2011

• They make angled sleep positioners, I wonder if that would help? But I think the chances of her choking and dying are pretty slim... try not to worry yourself TOO much over it...
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:18 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I agree with propping her up. That's how I sleep when I'm feeling vomitous.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:48 PM on May. 7, 2011

• try propping her up, or placing her on her side
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:50 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I hope she feels better soon. Try proping her up some. Maybe let her sleep in a play pen or something in your room so you can keep an eye on her to make you feel a little better. My kids have thrown up in the night a few times and have always been fine
    othermom

Answer by othermom at 10:44 AM on May. 15, 2011