Cry it out for an almost 3 year old??

My dd has never cried before bed, but in the last 3 months, some nights she will cry and not want me to leave. It usually takes about 1-3 returns on my part to get her to go stop crying. She has never had a problem falling asleep on her own and is even fine for an hour or even more at nap time when she doesn't sleep (almost all the time now). She never has a reason...usually says something vague like "I don't feel so good" or "I have to go potty" when she went right before bed. I am kind of at my wits end because I have a 1.5 year old to put to bed too. I have never left her to CIO (because I never had to) but I am starting to think that I might have to. Have you experienced this? Any ideas other than CIO or is that the only way I can make it clear that it is bed time?

christinab313

Asked by christinab313 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe have a talk with her that you will put her to bed and come back after your other child is asleep. I have 4 kids and have had to do this. My 3 yo tonight was calling for me and I told her I was feeding her brother and would come when I could. She will often fall asleep waiting for me to come and the times she dosen't I give her a snuggle and she's off to sleep.
    I've also had my son tell me he's sick or not tired and I tell him that he dosen't have to close his eyes but I'd like him to look at the ceiling so his body can get some rest. He also will reach a point where he can't keep his eyes open any longer and nodds off.
    My other dd would often say I need a drink or I need to go pee. I would tell her that she know's where the bathroom is and can do it herself and then tuck herself back in bed and I will check on her later. She was doing it looking for more attention but when she didn't get it she'd stay in bed.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• if she is almost 3 then I would let her cry it out. especially when she doesn't have a legitimate reason for you to be checking on her constantly. she could just be doing it for the attention.
    I put my son to sleep when he was a year old, and he would cry for a while, but he soon realized he was fine going to sleep by himself. Its been that way for 4 months.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• i would try to figure out the issue. at 3yo is when the imagination can run a lil' wild (monsters in the closet, under the bed).. so id try to figure out whats going on.. maybe her routine/bedtime/naptime needs to be adjusted so she is more tired before bed?
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:42 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I would try to figure out what is bothering her. After that, I'd give her a while to work on getting over what the fear is. A new nightlight, daddy checking the closet or under the bed and then give her a regular routine to follow...
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 8:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2011