• In the Spotlight:

At what age does a boy start to lose teeth?

question...My son will be 8 in May and still didn't lose one tooth. At what age does a boy start to lose teeth?

momofzachjassop

Asked by momofzachjassop at 11:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• it depends my son lost his first tooth just acouple months ago and he will be 6 sunday
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• usually around six.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 11:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I was also going to say after 6 years old. 8 seems kind late to me, but everyone is different. Call your dentist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Wow, I hadn't realized it was that close, hehe. My oldest son is 5 1/2 and hasn't lost any.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:34 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My daughter didn't lose any until she was almost 7; actually the dentist had to pull her two bottom, front teeth because the permanent ones had broken through the gum behind the baby teeth. It wasn't as big a deal as it sounds like! Have you asked his dentist? X-rays should confirm the development of his permanent teeth, as well as showing the disappearance of the roots on the baby teeth.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 11:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My son is 6 and he JUST lost his first tooth about 2 weeks ago.
    melittler

Answer by melittler at 12:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My son will be 6 next month and not even a loose one. He has classmates that started losing teeth last Summer so he feels a bit left out at the moment.

My son cut his teeth later than the other kids in playgroup so I'm assuming he'll be late to lose them too.
    FORCEOFGRAVITY

Answer by FORCEOFGRAVITY at 2:29 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• 8 seems pretty old. What does his dentist say? My dd is 10 has has only lost 8 of her baby teeth. Her top two eye teeth REFUSE to fall out, and they have been slightly loose for over 2 years! Meanwhile her permanent ones grew in right under them, and the suckers still won't budge. She's going to the dentist on Monday and I hope he will pull them. The child is going to need braces for sure!
    carolina.mommy

Answer by carolina.mommy at 3:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Kids are different but 8 sounds kind of late. My son lost his first tooth a month before turning 6. He's 7 now and has lost 6 or 7 teeth. My oldest dd is 8 and lost her first tooth a few months after turning 6. My middle daughter lost 2 teeth over the summer at 5 1/2. She has 2 more loose now and just turned 6.
    I think 6 is the average age for losing a first tooth.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• All three of mine were around the age of 6 except my son. He lost his first tooth a week after he started KG at 5. My six yr. old just lost her first tooth the day after her bday and lost her second one EXACTLY a week later. But eight does seem kind of late. Have you talked to his dentist? Pediatrician maybe?

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:28 AM on Dec. 5, 2008