My 8 month old baby does not like to sleep in her crib. I rock her to sleep, but she still wakes in my arms. If I put her in her crib she screams really loud. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you have to let her cry it out, it won't hurt her and she'll most likely fall asleep in 15 minutes. she's crying like that because she knows you'll hold her and rock her.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 11:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My baby is the same way. He won't cry it out, I have tried. He just screams and screams. He will, thank goodness, sleep in his swing. He normally wakes up between 11 and 1 for a bottle. After that feeding I guess that he is just so asleep that I can lay him in his crib and he is fine.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• feed her in the dark lay her down walk out...cio thats all i konw we did
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• OK, let me tell you, CIO does work but you have to be strong. Last night was my first night to do it (my kid is 10 1/2 months old). He cried for an hour and 45 minutes. I wanted to cry too but it just had to be done. Then he did not wake till 2:30 a.m. I fed him a bottle, burped him, and put him back to bed. He cried 20 minutes more, and then he did not wake till 7 a.m. He had learned that he can manipulate me by crying. He wanted to sleep with me, or in my arms if not in my bed. Well, today, he was cranky. That's OK because he did have a rough night. I am really doing this for his own good. He is totally dependant on me still.
    amandallamas

Answer by amandallamas at 12:19 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Saturday, he finally learned to crawl! That's a late start! I am sorry that my baby had to go through this, but it was necessary. It got to the point that I would be trying to soothe him into sleeping from 7:30 p.m. untill 11 p.m. Well, the point is...tonight was night #2. After litterally 5 minutes, he was asleep, sound asleep!! I do not know what will happen tomorrow, but I am happy that my baby is learning finally to self-soothe. It just got to the point that I was not able to help him anymore to sleep. Please, tell me what you decide to do and how it works. =) Even if it is another method. Trust me, I wish I had learned something that worked when he was younger!
    amandallamas

• Have you tried a sleep CD? They work wonders. I have a baby mozart one and he loves it at the age of 14 months. He has become accustomed to it, it helps relax his mood and he drifts off to sleep. Sometimes I give him a cup of milk and he will drink a little and throw it out of the crib. I also put a safe toy in and he may play with it until he drifts off.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 12:19 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I think the first night took so long because I had waited too long to find something that was effective! =( But I am happy that I finally found what worked for my baby!
    amandallamas

Answer by amandallamas at 12:20 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My preschool taught me that my son would sleep in his crib if he used a boppy pillow. He has trouble breathing if he wasn't elevated and he would wake up anytime I layed him flat. I know it is not the exact same, but I thought maybe it may help it would help for your issue as well.
    Mary_CoreysMom

Answer by Mary_CoreysMom at 12:46 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Do you ever put her in there when she's awake? My baby doesn't sleep in his crib yet, but he's very comfortable in it and oftentimes falls asleep or takes naps there. I started setting him down in there when he was a few weeks old and I needed to go to the bathroom, put a load in the washer, wherever, He got familiar with his mobile, the feel of the mattress, and what his room lookslike from that perspective.

Start by making her comfortable with the environment, then work from there. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• For the first 20 minutes after babies go to sleep, they are in a very "light" sleep cycle. When my daughter was very young, I would actually hold her for those 20 minutes until I knew that she had hit the deep sleep cycle to move her out of my arms. The transfer from the arms to crib is tricky too. What I learned from one book is that it is important to have their bottom hit the crib first, otherwise she will feel like she is falling. So, as you put her in her crib, do a slow, two-step movement to lay her down. First put her bottom down and then her head/shoulders. Then, slowly move your hands out. This sounds like a small thing, but I found it to be very important for me to do this in order to successfully transfer my sleeping daughter into her crib.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:06 AM on Dec. 4, 2008