Theft

tonight my almost 5 year old ds committed his first theft and boy i dont think he will ever do it again. so we were walking down the candy isle when we came to the jelly bean machine (a machine that you as the customer use to pour jelly beans into a bag and pay for by the lb) he asked if we could use it and i told him after we eat the candy from easter (i got a 3 lb bag) the machine is at the end of the isle so i turn ed the corner. well in the 2 seconds it took me to come back from him he found two that someone had dropped and he tried ever so obviously to hide one of them while he ate the other. I explained all about theft (which he already knows about because every time im shopping he reminds me that we cant open food until after we pay for it.) well at first he tried to lie and say that he didnt eat anything so i walked down the isle without him (only far enough that he got the hint) as i was walking i told him when he was ready to tell the truth i was there to listen. then he came and told me the truth. i gave him a quarter and said that he had to pay me back at home with his own money and he agreed. i said he also had to tell the cashier, that because he was the one that stole the candy he had to be the one to tell her. so we finish our shopping and he found a cd he wanted for the car. i agreed to buy it for him. we get to the cashier and he chickens out of telling her what happened. i gave him as long as the cashier was ringing us up to tell her then i wasnt going to buy the cd... well next thing i know he is throwing a fit because he dicided not to tell on himself... the tantrum lasted like 15 minutes (long enough for me to get the groceries in the car) so i left the store and he came out after me (although i had to step around the side of the building for him to come) then because it was such small parking lot i left him kicking and screaming that he needed help getting his shoes back on (he kicked them off at the register) I took the groceries to the car and came back and picked him up and took him to the car and sat and waited for him to buckle up before he finally stopped screaming. oh well such is life... there was this old lady there that just couldnt believe i walked away from him while he was screaming. i was so mad at her... she looked at me like i was beating my child. have any of your children tried stealing? if so what was it and how did you handle it?

mommy06and09

Asked by mommy06and09 at 12:19 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I had a butt-load of bags and went into a nice shoe store with my daughter. Unbeknownst to me, she put a pair of shoes in the bag under some sweaters when I wasn't looking. She was 3. When I got home, I saw what she had done and took her back to the store. I explained to them what had happened, they laughed and were like "Oh, it's OK." I was like "Hell no, it's not."
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:23 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I dont think i'd get that over traumatic over one lil jelly bean lol!! calm down moma its not like he stole something "very expensive" lol

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• We just dealt with this with my 7yo actually. I was in one of his nightstand drawers putting something in it and I saw this funny little fruit thing that I thought came from a tree. Basically it could have been rotting in there, and I'm like, what the heck. I asked him what it was and where it came from and he said, "I don't know."

Several days later we were at the grocery store and I was perusing the produce section and saw a pile of those there. It was a kumquat! He HAD to have gotten it there. So I got down to his level and I said, "I want to know the truth. Don't lie to me. That thing I found in your drawer and asked you about, did you get that here?" He fessed up. Said he was playing with it and put it in his pocket accidentally and brought it home. (He was playing with it.)

Anonymous

• I explained how it was wrong and how I believed he hadn't meant to bring it home (what kid steals a kumquat purposely?) but told him he wasn't getting allowance for the week, and we took one from the shelf and I made him go up to the service desk with it after our shopping was done and tell the woman what he had done and that he had to pay for it. He also lost computer for several days for lying initially to me.

Then I had DH talk to him when we got home. I hope he fully gets it.

*sigh*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• there are two reasons i freaked out. one cause my younger brother (who ds adores) is a BIG theif (like hundreds of dollars at a time) and im afriad if i dont engrain in him now he will too become one... also i dont know that jelly bean came from. for all i know he got it off the floor where someone with dog poop just stepped. I know he didnt get it from the machine cause... well its impossible to get just one or two lol!
    mommy06and09

Comment by mommy06and09 (original poster) at 12:30 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• my sister accidently stole a box of 4th of july snappies from a gas station when we were little. we walked there and on the way back my mom found it in her pocket. my sister never did it again. its good to nip it in the butt now because next time it might more than just a jelly bean. kids dont know that jelly beans is a 'less severe' theft than a box of oreos or something.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 12:49 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• i think that was the right thing to do. its good to engrain right and wrong at a young age. stealing one thing is just as bad as stealing something much larger!!
    LeahsMommy361

Answer by LeahsMommy361 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I dont agree with the one answer above, when my son was 6 he stole a pack of gum, man I was pissed, cause he knows better, I took him back to the store and made him tell the women he was sorry, and of course they called the cops, I was fine with that . Let me tell ya he was scared to death and has not done it since, i told him it was wrong and that it was a crime.And of course i paid the store back. ya know i had so many people looking at me like i was beating the hell out of him , let people look at you, who cares.

I personally would have not bought him that cd. he did something wrong and he should have not been rewarded for bad behavior.

stand your ground, you need to make him understand what he did was wong.. good luck mama
    ashes27165

Answer by ashes27165 at 6:03 PM on May. 3, 2011

• thanks ladies... i didnt buy the cd because he wouldnt own up to what he did. if he had apologized and paid the quarter, i would have gotten him the cd but oh well....
    mommy06and09

Comment by mommy06and09 (original poster) at 1:58 AM on May. 10, 2011