Needing help in teaching a only child to no longer be....

my daughter is 19 months old, she is a only child right now, but just after she turns 2 well be expecting our second one to be here. my area is not a very resourceful one, there is only one class for pregnant women-nurtrition. the hospitals and doctors around here do not offer any other classes to help kids. my husband and i have been telling her mommy has a baby in her tummy, and even though shell point to my tummy{or hers sometimes lol} and say baby,kiss it, or rub the belly im worried that the transistion between being a only child to a older child will be hard on her. i know its normal for there to be jealousy, but what is a easy way to help her understand that she now has to share mommy and daddy, and that she is still our big girl and we love her just the same?
so far of corse my husband and i have come to the understanding that every day she will get 30 minutes with each of us with out baby just to herself,all about her. but this is pretty much the only solution we have come up with and that should help with the not sure if we still love her the same problem. im really open to ideas and suggestions and id love to hear from moms or dads who have had kids so close together and how that turned out for them.
thanks!!

bamamommy2009

Asked by bamamommy2009 at 12:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't let anyone tell her she's no longer the baby. Let her continue to b the baby.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• dont know how much help i will be as my kids are 3 years apart but what about the park / babysitting let her see you with other children so she get used to that part too. good luck
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 12:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I was worried about my son. He is 2 years and 4 months older than my daughter. Its hard not to worry about how the older one will react- but she will do great. Just let her help out with the new baby. Don't shield her from the baby- let her take on the role of big sister gradually and in her own way. Congratulations on the new addition!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• get her books talking about being a big sister. have her "help" with the baby when it comes- getting diapers, and giving her a chance to bond with her sibling. give her plenty of her own time & keep up with things you do together. look at her baby pictures with her. talk about when she was a baby.. and just try to be understanding of her feelings..
    But also dont stress yourself out too much! This is only a short part of their life. They will get older. and jealousy is going to happen (i dont know when it doesnt happen-no matter the age!) so dont think your a bad parent if she wants the baby to go back in your belly! lol...
    Good luck
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• As long as you have your older child involved and helping out she'll end up bonding with the baby, And just make sure you spend one on one time with her so she feels loved.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 1:57 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I have a similar situation too so I'm glad you asked this question!! The advice sounds wonderful!! :) GL to you and your new lil one!
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 6:17 PM on Apr. 30, 2011