Have You Ever Lived Out Of a Car?

Why? How did you manage, Are you back on Track?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I lived IN my car for about six months when my son was a baby. His Dad took off and left us without paying an ounce of child support. I had no money and no place to live. I was too ashamed to go to my family for help so unless I was visiting them and they offered for us to stay, I would not. We would sleep in our car in a grocery parking lot. It was awful and not fun at all. When I got a place, I swore I would never, ever make him go without a roof over his head again. We started with a trailer and worked our way up. I know own a home and am back on track. I hope I never go back to that place, it was not easy.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:14 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Yeah....at different times in my life. It was awful - and yes, the cops will chase you down and force you to leave.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 1:17 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Yes, when I was 18. I got married, parents hated him, told me I could never come back home. He began beating me and I packed my car and drove to different spots everynight so he couldn't find me. Did this for about 6 weeks. Finally I saved enough money to buy a bus ticket from Ky to Oregon, but not before I pushed his car off a cliff into a lake :) That was 32 years ago.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• But, I learned how to bbq awesome scrambled eggs by using foil and rack over a fire :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Are you doing okay now?
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• This is true in the city. I was in the country so I wasn't concerned about cops. More concerned about ex and it's awfully scary out there at night alone.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:16 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I'm sorry, I hate that life has to be so hard! I've lived a hard life myself and I understand. Fortunately I've been married to a wonderful man for 28 yrs. now. The same is waiting for you!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:17 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My husband has but they were odd circumstances. He accepted a transfer out of state. It was too far away to fly and find a place to live (couldn't afford to rent a car once there) so the day before he was supposed to start he arrived in town with no where to live and no money for motels and stuff. He lived out of his truck for a few weeks before finding a house to rent. He slept in parking lots and state parks, ate fast food but mostly worked 12 hour shifts so he was too tired to do anything but sleep once in his car. It was pretty exhausting for him, I guess. He was 2000+ miles from me so I don't really know.
    My brother has been homeless off and on since he was 20...living on people's couches and in his car (when he had one).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• No, thank God.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:48 PM on May. 2, 2011

• No, thank goodness.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:03 AM on May. 3, 2011