Does your 1 yo bite?

My DS is 11 mos old, almost 1. He is BF too. He has 3 teeth, and lately he's been BITING. He will just lunge right at my arm or my shoulder, and dig his teeth right in. I give him teethers and stuff. Every once in a while he just BITES. It's not all the time, but I worry. I'll return to work in a few months, and I worry about him being "that kid" at daycare, a kid who BITES. It is only ME he has ever sunk his teeth into, and I feel he just likes my skin, since I BF, lol.

Has anyone else dealt with this? I tell him no of course, and will hand him a teether, but he's not really understanding fully at 11 months.

KairisMama

Asked by KairisMama at 1:06 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had the SAME problem. I would say no and put him down. He would just smile. I believe I was consistent and firm, but how much is an 11mos old going to know. Well he'll be 3 and he still hits and bites. Now he does it to everybody!! N yes, my child is "that kid" except he's not in daycare, he's with me. I think what has helped is paying attention to why he does it. then working from there.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:20 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• when my dd bit (it was usually her older brother although she did bite a few friends at school) i would remove her and put her in "the corner" and go and hug ds for a minutes and show all my attention was on him. then id let her out of the corner and she would come and i would tell her biting hurts. then she would kiss him and use a "gentle mouth" she no longer bites at 20 months and hasnt for like 5 months... well she doesnt usually (although every once in a while she still bites but its only big brother and its only because he does something she doesnt like and she is teething) i think that by giving him the teether you may be reinforcing the behavior. i would stand up and tell him in a firm voice no. then walk away and have some mommy time for a minute (yes it will hurt his feelings and he may not fully understand it at first but after two or three times he will begin to understand)
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 1:29 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• also give him the teether even when he is not biting. there are forms of communication that even an 11 month old can use. try to teach him to do something like touch his teeth when he wants it or teach him to say something that you will recognize and understand... hope this helps and good luck! those teeth can be sharp
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 1:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• my one year ols does this too. she only seems to bite me though :( if she is mad she will slap or bite me. if you find out how to teach such a young child please let me know. i tell her no and put her down but she just laughs and walks away.
    ncarolina3

Answer by ncarolina3 at 6:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2011