Bottle rot?

So i'm crazy paranoid about bottle rot, and we often give him a bottle before bedtime and then brush his teeth afterward (try the best with can with a wriggling 11 month old!) but he never goes to sleep with the bottle in his mouth. Are we still in danger of bottle rot?

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 1:30 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Kids' Health

• As long as he's not sleeping with it, it's fine. No worries.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:46 PM on May. 7, 2011

• No not at all. the only time you should be worried is if they are staying with a bottle in their mouth while sleeping and using it as a pacifire. keeping up with brushing is a big bonus to healthy teeth and starting at a young age will make them strong. So I would say you are doing a great job as a Mom .
    A522R

Answer by A522R at 1:36 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• not if you are brushing the teeth. all it is is a decaying tooth due to the milk sitting on the tooth itself. take him to the dentist and have them tell you. also if you want to give him water in a bottle in bed thats perfectly fine too.
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 1:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I just googled that and the pictures are disgusting! I never let my kids go to sleep with the bottle in their mouth, if they start falling asleep I take it away.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 1:33 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• if he takes a bottle to bed, make sure it is water and not milk. You're doing good mama!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:06 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I know it's very scary! Yeah, we don't let him either, but I was wondering if we are still in danger or it, if he drinks it right before bed?
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 1:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Thanks so much! I was up tonight worried about it because my husband was watching him tonight and forgot to brush his teeth after his bottle and before bed and we normally do it together and I was flipping out. LOL. Paranoid mama...thanks so much!
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 1:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Yea we're definitely gonna start doing the water thing...I just did milk because he would sleep through the night better on a full tummy...but to prevent tooth decay I don't mind getting up if I have to!
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Yep, just keep the night time bottle to water and try not to let him fall asleep relying on it.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:16 PM on May. 5, 2011