My 5-year-old daughter is doing 5th grade math problems & their correct?!

So I caught my daughter doing math problems in my little sisters 5-6th grade math book so I took it from her because at first I thought she was scribbling in it(you know how kids are -_-).But then I saw her doing math problems in the book & they were correct(the book doesn't have instructions because it's a reteach kind of book).She did 4.56 x .09 kind of problems.Should I be concerned?

My_Darling_Luna

Asked by My_Darling_Luna at 1:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• well if shes reaching all her milestones and you dont think she is austistic.. then I wouldn't be concerned. (a lot of children with aspergers syndrome are extremely intelligent in certain areas)
    I would harness that and teach it to her!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:38 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Thank you I was just wondering if I should be concerned.And yeah she kinda has autism a little bit.She likes to be away from the crowd & has trouble communicating.But at times can talk to people.So yeah thank yhu ElsaSalsaaa
    My_Darling_Luna

Comment by My_Darling_Luna (original poster) at 1:42 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Have you talked to her doctor about her autistic behavoir? there is a lot they can do now with intervention therapy to help her over come any struggles she might have.
    and no problem! I was excited to read your post. I LOVE math :p I'm a total math nerd, but I've never been great at it until college. I just think its really cool she can do such advanced math!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:45 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Hmm, that is impressive! I agree with ElsaSalsaaa though, it would be good to have her assessed. You need to harness her strengths as well as work on the aspects of social development that she may struggle with, and you can do both better if you understand exactly what her strengths and weaknesses are!

I have a really intelligent dyslexic boy and we made the mistake of not getting him assessed until he started high school. All through Primary School he assumed he was stupid and it seriously affected his self-esteem. At least we did finally get a proper in-depth assessment and know we - and he - understand exactly what he can and can't do, and what he's brilliant at and where his difficulties are. So worth it!!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:21 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Thanks !
    My_Darling_Luna

Comment by My_Darling_Luna (original poster) at 6:39 PM on May. 26, 2011