Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Marital problems. Shelter for women ?

My husband's behavior is getting abusive more and more often lately. He shouts & humiliates me, and when I try to resolve an issue between us he doesn't let me talk. He throws objects at me, and doesn't allow me to express my emotions.

He has been physically abusive in the distant and more recent past. 

I would prefer to resolve things smoothly. Should I contact women's shelter or should I just be patient till I get a job ?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (11)
  • you should go to a womens shelter you want your safety first the relationship will work no matter what wherever you are if he really loves you

    Answer by roxy0522 at 1:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

  • I would contact a women's shelter, there really isn't a way to resolve things smoothly if he already laid hands on you, that boat has sailed in my opinion. Is there family you could stay with? Btw, do you have children? If so even the more reason to get out.

    Answer by GomezMami2908 at 1:51 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

  • Contact a shelter and get away from him! Do you have children? The shelter can help you and your kids, if you have any, and help you find a job. Remember, you're not alone and it's very empowering to get on your own two feet again. You don't deserve abuse from ANY man *Hugs*

    Answer by Kathy675 at 1:53 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

  • I have family in other States, no children.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

  • Thank you for your help.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:55 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

  • Then what's stopping you? Google womens shelters and your city/state and you'll get all the info you need.

    Answer by Kathy675 at 1:56 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

  • Escalation is a big threat cue and rarely if ever do abusers de-escalate their level of violence. For your safety, contact your local shelter and start taking steps to get away. If nothing else they can help you with a "escape plan" just in case.

    Good luck mama. You don't deserve to be treated like that. Please don't wait. These things can get very messy if left too long. I live in Canada so our system is a bit different but if you want an ear to bend just message me.

    Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:58 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

  • Just a side note. I've been in an abusive marriage. I sold our TV at a pawn shop and purchased a one way ticket to where I live now, with nothing but a backpack and a few dollars. I made it and am very happy now. If you have family in another state start packing and head to the bus station if need be. It took me 5 days on a bus to go from Ky. to where I live now. If I could do it so can you.

    Answer by Kathy675 at 2:07 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

  • hugs!!!

    Answer by mamawilbur at 2:16 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

  • Shelter first, then worry about a job. In fact, some shelters out there can help you find a job. But first things first, get out of that abusive situation.

    Answer by heratyc at 1:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.