Do you limit the number of friends your children can have on a social networking site?

My children are too young to be on social networking sites, but I was noticing today that a young family member (who is actually slightly below the facebook age minimum) has well over three hundred friends. Now, the school may be large, and we do have a large extended family, but I doubt this child actually personally knows all three hundred people. I saw a conversation today and in part of the discussion thread it was discussed that this family member of mine didn't actually know one of the facebook friends. It is not my place to parent this child, but I know that things have been said on facebook before (like hinting last summer that a baby was on the way with an SO who was just as young just to get a rise out of some classmates). I wouldn't want my children on facebook that young, but even if they were on there, I think I'd have to limit the friend list.

AmourSpork

Asked by AmourSpork at 1:53 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My kids are older, but yes, I do limit who they can be friends with. Not by a number exactly, but it has to be a person that they know in real life - no "online friends" or "friends of friends". They have to know that person in person / be related to them. Now, there are a couple of exception to this - like for example my sister got re-married a couple of yrs ago, but, because of where we live, we haven't been home to visit since before the wedding. They are allowed to be friends on facebook with my sisters husband and step kids...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• well if your gonna let them on there to begin with then why does it matter how many friends they have maybe the ? is do you let them talk with people they dont know do you tell your kids how many friends they can have at school
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I don't set a friend limit, but my son knows not to friend anyone he does not know personally.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• The thing with FB is, your kid's privacy is only as good as his friends' privacy settings. I don't limit my kids (but they're 17 & 15); we educated them from the very beginning & as they proved themselves trustworthy, we never had the need to intervene.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 2:25 PM on May. 1, 2011

• ummmm.... I limit WHO is their friend! I mean in order for them to make a friedn they have to ask me to approve! OR I will check it and HE will lose all computer privledges!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:16 PM on May. 1, 2011

• They will be limited and required to "friend" me and dad.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:49 AM on May. 3, 2011