Should I stop using my straightener?

I've been coloring and straightening my hair since I was an 8th grader...I think it's time for a break. My hair is very dry, very stiff also. It's never soft and usually short. My hair breaks easily and if my hair is dry and parted down the middle...I notice a LOT of short strands that have been broken...basically my hair is a disaster.

Question is...if I stop using my hair straightener will the overall health of my hair improve? I haven't colored it in a long time, and usually get frustrated when trying to grow it out long and chop it all off.

BlueMockingbird

Asked by BlueMockingbird at 1:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• You should, your hair needs rehab lol. No, seriously buy some good treatments and use conditioning creams instead of hair spray or hair gel. Here is an article for you http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/290161/how_to_make_damaged_hair_healthy_again.html
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 1:56 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Perfect article for me! Thank you! =]
    BlueMockingbird

Comment by BlueMockingbird (original poster) at 1:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• yeah I would stop using it for a while. also always use a protectant like redkin heat glide. there are a ton of products out there. try a deep conditioner or a hot oil treatment. try shampoo and conditioner specifically for dry hair
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:01 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Redken line is great!! "Anti-snap" works wonders!
    Good luck hunny!
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 2:03 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• What does a hot oil treatment do?
    BlueMockingbird

Comment by BlueMockingbird (original poster) at 2:14 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• sounds like my hair... i use a heat defense on it everyday but i have horrible thin hair that breaks easily. i did stop straightening my hair and it didnt look any better to me so i cut it off and now i regret it. big time!
    dramaMama407

Answer by dramaMama407 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• my hair used to be like that when i straightened then spiked it i haven't spiked it since i was 15 and i got a new straightener now my hair doesn't break as bad, try a different straightener maybe?
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 2:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Yes it will improve. Stop blow drying as well. Stop using products with alcohol. I would suggest just towel drying and using a little hair oil such as Enjoy Hair and Skin Treatment Oil, then letting it air dry. Also, there are certain foods that help repair hair as well as vitamins.  Here a few posts about them:  Natural Hair Health      Healthy Hair Food

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Yes backing off will help the damage that is already there and then grow out a bit you will have growth and work with that :)
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 11:53 AM on Jun. 14, 2011