Why cant people just keep Christ in Christmas..?

...and for those who like to put Xmas instead of Christmas.. X in hebrew means Christ.

So why dont people just want to keep it?

UAFwife

Asked by UAFwife at 11:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not all of us are Christians, so therefore we shouldn't be forced to keep Christ in Christmas =] There's just as much commercialized holiday crap for non-religious people just as there's church services and nativity scenes and such for religious people. We should all be allowed to celebrate as we see fit.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Christmas (IPA: /krɪsmÉ™s/), also referred to as Christmas Day or Christmastide, is an annual holiday celebrated on December 25[2] that marks and honors the birth of Jesus of Nazareth.[3][4][5] His birth, which is the basis for the Anno Domini system of dating, has been determined by modern historians as having occurred between 7 and 2 BC. The date of celebration is not thought to be Jesus' actual date of birth, and may have been chosen to coincide with ancient Roman solar festivals that were held on December 25.[6]
    Anonymous

• Modern customs of the holiday include gift-giving, church celebrations, and the display of various decorations—including the Christmas tree, lights, mistletoe, nativity scenes and holly. Santa Claus (also referred to as Father Christmas, although the two figures have different origins) is a popular mythological figure often associated with bringing gifts at Christmas. Santa is generally believed to be the result of a syncretization between St. Nicholas of Myra and elements from pagan Nordic and Christian mythology, and his modern appearance is believed to have originated in 19th century media
    Anonymous

• I have taught her that lying is a sin. For those of you who are religious or believe in the for those of you who don’t believe in god or the bible but do celebrate Christmas. Why? Perhaps tradition I suppose. You work so hard throughout the year and give all the credit to a man that does not exist. Again you’re lying to your children. And just to let you know by celebrating Christmas technically this is what you are celebrating. I took this right from the encyclopedia the above.
    Anonymous

• Christmas is not actually the birth of Christ. I’m Christian and I do not celebrate Christmas because this is what you are actually celebrating (bellow is taken directly from the encyclopedia) and this is not part of the true Christian belief. If you read the bible you will find Christ was born in the spring. We go according to a different calendar today than they did then.
    Anonymous

• So as you can see christ has nothing to do with christmas. But satan has everything to do with it.
    Anonymous

• I'm agnostic. I celebrate the spirit and the practice of giving to others and not expecting anything in return. I also celebrate my family getting together and being at peace for at least one day out of the year.

I see nothing wrong with that.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• it was proven jesus was born in the summer...forgot where i learned this from i think church!!! But for some reason celb in dec..Y?
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I didnt know that about the X meaning Christ. I was about to say that I didnt understand why they put it in front. Me on the other hand do and think you should I have seen some Of my little brother and sisters school work (3rd grade) and they use x-mas it make me mad. I think it should stay the way it was and just spell it out people.
    Anonymous

• everyone short hands things now days cuz of lazyness cuz who would want to write out happy holidays over and over..since schools arnt really expose to say merry christmas
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2008