Is it bad to keep using the depo shot?

I've been on the shot since October of 2009...this year on September will be 2 years that I've been on it. I've heard that you can only use it for 2 years. I don't really want to use any other form of birth control because I like the shot. But I've heard if you keep using it bad complications can come with it. I really don't want anything bad to happen to me. So I want to know if its ok. If I do change birth control...I'll use the pill. But does it really work? I've heard alot of girl get pregnant while on the pill and right now I don't want anymore kids.

Babygirl760468

Asked by Babygirl760468 at 2:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i would ask your doctor but i was on it for 5 years and was fine except for not having a period but they stopped when i first got on it
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 2:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Oh okay. Well I know that my headaches and back pains are not normal. But I don't know if thats because I got the epidural when I had my son or because of the shot. But those r the only complications I have. Can that get worse if I keep using it?? Alright...thanks.
    Babygirl760468

Comment by Babygirl760468 (original poster) at 2:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I have friend who have conceived on every birth control method. Abstinence is the only 100% effective method, which of course isn't the fun one or the preferable one for most of us, lol. I agree with mamawilbur; if your doc says you can stay on it and you've done your research and agree with doc's findings then stay on it. Research is best on .org, .edu, and .gov, type sites, or at least on sites that are run by reputable organizations. While many of the people you'll find on forums and answer boards like this one are knowledgeable, none of us can take the place of professionals (with the exception of those that actually are professionals IRL). I hated the depo shot when I was on it, and haven't tried any other chemical/hormonal methods, but DH and I found that NFP worked best for us.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 2:44 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• i never got headaches or back pains
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 2:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Um alright then. I don't want to sound dumb lol...but what does DH mean? or NFP??? Well I'll ask then. AmourSpork..what birth control are you on?
    Babygirl760468

Comment by Babygirl760468 (original poster) at 2:55 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I've been on Depo for over 2 yrs now, and its true..they did kick me off for almost 2 yrs cuz they said it could cause bone cancer, but my ob/gyn put me back on it after I had my daughter in 2007 and said that the reports were false. If you like it and your doc says its ok, stay on it..but like AmourSpork said, do some research on it if your worried. :)
    purpleangel_70

Answer by purpleangel_70 at 2:57 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• my friend had that shot and now she has stopped having a monthly and she cant have kids now and she really wants one
    sissy852

Answer by sissy852 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• What? Really??? That thing can make you sterile???? That sucks...I don't want that....:( I think I still want more kids but not right now.
    Babygirl760468

Comment by Babygirl760468 (original poster) at 1:57 AM on May. 1, 2011