Birth control & breastfeeding

I'm gonna be having my baby in about 3 weeks now and I'm gonna get put on a birth control as soon as I can afterwards. I plan on breastfeeding and I know you can't get put on just any birth control because it can dry up your milk. When I was breastfeeding my son I was put on the mini pill and I didn't like it. I've heard of Lo Loestrin Fe, which is supposed to have the lowest possible dose of estrogen in it... does anyone know if that would be ok to take? Or know a good birth control to get put on? I don't want an IUD or anything like that just a good birth control. Thanks!

tiffanynichols

Asked by tiffanynichols at 2:55 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Health

• i'm glad you asked this it's a good question
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 2:58 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• After our first son we used condoms but that's how baby number 2 was concieved. After baby number 3 I used a minipill and that was fine until I fell pregnant with baby nubmer 4. Then DH had had enough and we pretty much went without sex, taking about 9 years to have 2 more children, LOL, but after baby number 6 I got my tubes tied. :D
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:07 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Sorry, not very helpful, unfortunately. Seriously if you want advice, I'd go with the minipill. I breastfed all my kids until they were nearly 2 or two of them were 3 years old.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:09 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Minipill is good as long as you take it at the same time every day. It has NO estrogen in it. I have heard of women being fine on regular birth conrol pills though too so really it all depends on your body and how it reacts. May I ask why you don't want an IUD? The non hormonal one is what I got after #2 (we wanted to let nature space them and were pretty sure we were done after 2, but not positive) and I love it. There is the issue of pretty heavy bleeding, but it only lasts for 1 day and my period is only 3 days long. You say you want a good birth control and the IUD is just that. At any point I can have it removed and get pregnant immediately if I like.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:28 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• i just stopped the loestrin it wasnt right for me i would try some thing different than the pill.
    eliesmommy1989

Answer by eliesmommy1989 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• i am on the minipill and hate it... my milk wasn't affected too much, but i got my period and haven't stopped bleeding for 2 weeks now.. ugh
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:32 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I don't know if you can take while breast feeding...but I am on Implanon andd after spotting for the first month I am fine...I love it.
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2011