What causes a woman to miscarriage at 16 weeks??

my friend was having a baby with a girl who was only 5 days ahead of me in her pregnancy. i have known her for a long time and she has never lived a 'healthy' lifestyle(poor eating habbits, heavy smoker, irregular sleeping habbits, a 'drama' chaser, ect) and she miscarried yesterday at 16 weeks.. i might not have agreed with her or her way of life but i cant stop thinking about her and my good friend(who would have been a Great Father)... i found out last night before bed and cant even sleep. she told me i was going to be a 'high risk' pregnancy because i dont eat meat(i have no health issues and never have always eaten a proper balanced diet[i'm a health freak]), i had a Dr. appt on may 27 and my baby and i are just fine ..Yet i cant stop hearing her say that to me and now this has happened to her, i just thought a womans chances of a miscarriage drop dramaticly into the second trimester?.. i dont understand. i feel horrible for them. this is very scary and i cant even imagine what they must be going through. what could have caused this and is it more common than they(Dr.s) say?

jayme009

Asked by jayme009 at 4:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• The chances may drop after the first trimester, but there is always a chance all the way through pregnancy, you can miscarry upto 21 weeks then after that its considered still born. There are many factors as to why someone can miscarry, its not always what the mother is doing on the outside thats effecting the pregnancy either, often there are problems with the baby or in the uterus that are well beyond the mothers control. You may never know the answer as to why, but I am sorry for your friends loss and I hope she has good support around her ((hugs))
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 5:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• As long as your iron levels are fine your lack of meat in your diet shouldn't be an issue. If you keep a proper diet.. not just a healthy one.. but one where all your vitamin and mineral needs are met then you should be fine. I don't see how your lack of meat will effect anything. I don't eat meat on a regular basis.. and everything with baby and I is fine.

People miscarry for a variety of reasons and unless knowing her personal history, genetic make up, and other factors no one can say for sure why.
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 7:23 AM on Apr. 30, 2011