If you couldn't breastfeed for WHATEVER reason....

would you really feed your kid breastmilk from a milk bank? how thorough is their testing? how do you know the donor was healthy and not on drugs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i wouldnt use a milk bank mine both got formula but if i wanted to breastfeed them and i couldnt i wouldnt use that
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Their tests are pretty darn thorough. I've never heard of anyone getting anything but I don't know that for a fact. I believe they test for drugs and a lot of other things to make sure it is safe. Yes, I would do it.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't...
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 11:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Why the hell would you drink milk from a frigging COW but not let your child have breast milk?? Seems pretty stupid to me.
    Anonymous

• Same reason I'd eat a cow but wouldn't eat a human.
    Anonymous

• I'd assume that their testing is just as thorough as any blood screenings for blood transfusions..

I doubt any mother on drugs would care enough to donate her milk.

And no, I probably would not use one - 1) last I heard there was only one milk bank left in this country, and it's in/near Toronto
    2) I would consult a good friend first, assuming I had one who was breastfeeding
    3) Before even any of the above I would exhaust all of my sources within myself to do what I could to increase my own supply.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 11:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I probably would use breastmilk if it were easy to get... and I don't know the cost... probably more than I could afford
    SO I would probably end up using formula
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:10 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I wouldn't but just because of the uncertainty of the condition of the mother producing. When I was attempting to nurse my doctor had me giving my son trivisol vitamins because they arent in breastmilk I GUESS. I know its natures perfect food but there is something comforting about knowing with formula I dont ave to eat 3 square meals a day for my babys food to be nutritionally complete. But more power to the moms who do push to get it
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I don't care how well it's screened, things hide in blood, things can hide in milk, too! I wouldn't do it.

The argument that a mother wouldn't donate bad milk doesn't work for me, either. It's a money-making opportunity for the donator, and a lot of (evil!) people put money before their fellow man's health...plus look at how some women take care of their own kids! What makes you think she's going to do better for ones that aren't her own? Too scary to me!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:22 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Um ... I donated milk, and you don't get paid. That assumption is just stupid. The screening process was beyond thorough, I even had dietary requirements I had to meet, and was asked to hold to a dairy free diet (not a problem since I was I am dairy alergic and read labels for biproducts) There are SEVERAL milk banks in this country, at least 7 from what I remember from the days when I donated. Milk is not only screened, but pasteurized, so any virus or bacteria in the milk would be destroyed in the pasteurization process. Of course the antibodies are destroyed in the process as well, and yet, banked milk is still superior to formula. Women who donate milk are (from my own experience) among the "crunchier" sort, and more likely to read labels, avoid processed food products and chemically laden food sources. I can't believe the ignorance I just read in this thread. Amazing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2008