I feel like such a bad mom now.....

My DD chomped on me while she was nursing, and my reaction was to smack her cheek so she would let go. It hurt so bad because she has teeth that I didn't really think, I didn't do it hard or anything I think I scared her and hurt her feelings more then anything, because she started to cry and say mama baba. She's been biting a lot but never this hard to the point of drawing blood. I feel so bad I cried and ill never ever do that again. How do I get her to stop biting so hard before she bites my nipple off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Release the latch. Look at her point your finger at her and say no in a stern voice. She'll soon get the hint. BTW your not a bad Mommy you just had a natural reaction.
    daps

Answer by daps at 5:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• You aren't a bad mommy. It hurt. It was an accident. It would be bad if you did it all the time and on purpose. Doesn't sound like you do. :)
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 5:51 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Maybe you could try pumping your milk.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:13 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Ohhh noooo...you are not a bad mom, stop beating yourself up, we, as women do it all the time. You are human, and it was a reaction that anyone may have done.....it hurt, so you reacted!!!!! very natural....
    shellie2518

Answer by shellie2518 at 7:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• well how old is she if she can talk sounds like she did it on purpose she does need punished stop breastfeeding and pump let her have the bottle
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 8:26 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• there's a difference between reflex and anger. Don't feel bad. They do however make nipple covers for breast feeding, I would think about investing in one to save the pain of her biting.
    thelovelymzbre

Answer by thelovelymzbre at 8:29 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Nope not a bad mom at all :) My guess is she understood what happened too and maybe she won't do it again :) But I know how bad it hurts especially being caught off guard like that. You're a good momma!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 8:29 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• You are NOT a bad mommy. That happened to me too. Just let her know it is not ok to bite you.
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 8:30 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I agree with unlatching, saying "no biting" and stop nursing for a few minutes. Then she realises if she does it, she loses out on the milk. It worked within a week with all of mine, at least most the time. They do tend to chew more when teething, but all of mine have had a biting phase.

None of us hasn't done something we regret without thinking... and if we haven't done it yet, we will (MIL says having kids in their 50s is the most challenging age :-)
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• She's not nursing if she's biting. You need to watch and break suction if you think she's about to bite. I always ended a nursing session if I got bitten. If it was toward the end, we were done. If it was at the beginning, I would wait at least 10 minutes before I would relatch. They will learn not to bite with this method.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2011