Regression when sibling is born?

I didn't know until I read a few things tonight about children regressing when a new sibling is born. I have a 20 month old and am gonna have his little sister in 3 weeks and I was just curious. Does this always happen? Is it common?

tiffanynichols

Asked by tiffanynichols at 6:18 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my oldest was just shy of his second birthday when his brother was born and he didn't regress. One thing I tried to do was always spend time with the older one and make a point of spending time just the two of us. I never wanted my older on to feel that just because the baby was here that he wasn't important any more. Every night I would just with him and read like we did before the baby was born, even if I had the baby with me I tried to not change to much of his routine.

I have to say that I don't think it always happens and if it starts happening try to nip it in the bud before it gets to far.  Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:13 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• It is very common but may not happen to your son. Make sure he gets plenty of attention and love when the baby comes and you should be fine. He will need one on one time with you and your SO
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:42 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My now 2 yo had no problem when his sister was born at 20 months. Never regressed at all - in fact, he gave up his paci almost overnight when she was born (paci's are for babies!), started helping more with getting dressed, etc It was like he knew now that he was the "big" brother and of course I don't think it helped that we emphasized that and gave him a lot of attention and praise for it. Even now that she's 9 months, we still talk about how much help he is and how he can do things that she can't and it seems to encourage him to try even more new and different things (like potty training!).

Answer by missanc at 10:47 AM on Apr. 30, 2011