IS the low carb diet bad for your health?

Im on the low carb diet and have been doing great with it. But my mom told me to get off of it that my body needs carb's or my organs and hear would shut down is this true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• God I LOOVE sweet potatoes! I switched to a low-carb diet after my last baby was born, and I dropped all the baby weight plus 8 lbs at my 6 week check in. The difference was that instead of eating hamburgers w/out the bun, steaks, eggs, etc. I would eat the low-fat protein (fish, chicken, omlettes made w/ 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites, string cheese, etc.). but when i went back 2 work and starting hitting the take out again, i put on 6 lbs! and felt like total crap. back on the wagon.. feeling much better.
    my favorite breakfast is a spoonful of peanut butter and a cup of black coffee. i don't feel hungry and i can go five hours until lunch w/ a ton of energy. also, Aldi's has a diet food line called "fit and active" which I love.. it's cheap and it's good and now everyone in my house eats the way that I do so we're all much healthier.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 9:23 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You do need carbs but you need the good carbs not the bad one's in junk food. The ONLY diet that will EVER fit your nutritional needs is the good old fashioned fruit and vegetables. Eating them and cutting out the junk.
    Anonymous

• I MEAN MY HEART I FORGOT THE T SORRY
    Anonymous

• My cardiologist put me on The South Beach Diet. Yes, you need carbs, but the good ones! Plus, you don't need very many carbs.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 12:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You need carbs. Your brain depends on it. No carb diets are super dangerous. You can limit carbs, but you need some at least. Get some whole grain pastas or bread and you'll be fine. No white bread or processed grains.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:20 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• protein is the least efficient source of energy. your body has to work harder to extract less energy which leaves you lacking and dehydrated. its good to get off all the refined sugars and white carbs, but you absolutely need carbs for optimal body function.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 1:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Your body requires carbohydrates. When your body doesn't have enough glucose to burn for energy, it will start to burn fat and then protein tissues like muscles and organs instead. Do not limit carbs and fiber-rich grains such as brown rice, whole wheat bread, and especially fruits and veggies. You must learn the difference between "good" carbs and "bad" carbs, eat a balanced diet of good fats, good proteins, and good carbs and establish a moderate, consistent exercise program. Every nutrient you consume has its own function in maintaining overall health.
    livewell4me

Answer by livewell4me at 6:07 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• my mom was on one of these diets there crazy!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I have to eat very few carbs - I am a diabetic. This is how I gauge how many grams of carbs: I keep them mainly out of my diet unless I start to feel sluggish. Then I will add maybe 20 grams of carbs for a few days. Low/no carbs can cause you to be tired, so if I feel that way, it's my body saying "Hey! I need some!"
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:50 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Low carb and NO carb are two different things. NO carb diets are unhealthy and usually only recommended for grossly overweight persons, for a short period of time. Low carb diets are relatively safe. The focus in low carb diets needs to be a consumption of "good" carbs versus "bad" carbs, which are generally found in junk food. The best good carb you can eat would be a sweet potato. Not only is a sweet potato full of "good" carbs, it's loaded with vitamins and minerals.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 7:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2008