Change formula just b/c is was given to you free?

DD 3 1/2 mo is mostly BF, she only gets 16oz of formula a week b/c I don't pump enough. I've use enfamil gentlease from the very beginning and she's never had an issue. Recently we were given regular enfamil (not gentlease) from her school b/c one of the teachers purchase the wrong brand for a friend. DH says use it, it's free. My only objection is why risk chaning it if she's doing excellent with what she's on now? Would you use it or give it to someone else?

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 8:14 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe you should give to someone who really needs it
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Hmmm.... I changed my DS up all the time and he was fine, a friend of mine changed her DD up and it was hard for her DD to adjust so I guess there are no 'rules' per-say. If you benefit from the free formula then I would at least try it. If you can afford to stick with what you use then perhaps donate it to a food bank. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:17 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I would give it to someone else. My son used Gentlease BECAUSE the regular stuff upset his stomach. So I wouldn't give it to him just because it was free. I would be worried that she would have an problem with it and I wouldn't want to cause one by switching.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:18 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• well thats not really changing formula its still the same brand and baby is getting older and doesnt necesarily need gentlease to begin with if no complications i would use it being its the same formula and if you dont feel comfortable with it then keep it incase you run out for whatever reason and cant get anymore or give to someone who can use it but no it should be ok to use
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 8:21 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• It is not recommended to switch unless there are issues ecause there could be issues. I would donate the one given to you to the food bank.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:18 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I did switch, but it was to the same stuff in a different brand. DS was weaning from a combination of bottles and breast to EBF at the time. The switch wasn't a problem.

It's a tough call.  Do you have someone who would take an open can if it isn't something DD tolerates?  That might determine what you do.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:30 AM on Apr. 30, 2011