Can a person get FMLA and MATERNITY LEAVE

My dad is very sick and they told us he only has a few days left he is at a hospice house right now so my boss is supposed to find this out for me but i just want to know what you guys think. do you think i can get both im 6 months pregnant so i would be getting family medical leave and then would i be alowed to get maternity leave right after?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• I believe you're allowed 12 weeks per year of FMLA, assuming you've met eligibility requirements. Those 12 weeks don't have to be consecutive and they don't have to be for the same thing.

If you don't qualify for FMLA (less than one year in your job, less than 35 hrs (I think) per week, or less than 50 employees at your job), then you can get Short Term Disability (STD) to have your baby, but it wouldn't cover any care for your dad.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 9:33 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• FMLA is mostly a guarantee that your job will still be there for you after you take a leave of unpaid abcense to care for a family member. Maternity leave is diffrent from place to place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Most employers use the FMLA as your maternity leave, but like the first poster said, you're allowed 12 weeks a year.
    In order to qualify for FMLA a doctor (normally for maternity leave it would be your OB/GYN or similar doctor, but for your father I THINK it can be the doctor treating him... they fill out a different portion of the form than your doctor would for maternity leave.) has to fill out a few pages about why you need the time off, how long they think you'll need and questions like that... once it's approved though any time you take off related to illness is taken out of the 12 weeks (at most places... I'd talk to HR about it though....) I lost 3 weeks of mine before my son was even born because of bed-rest and extreme morning sickness.
    jess_merrick874

Answer by jess_merrick874 at 8:49 PM on May. 1, 2011

• One other thing to keep in mind, and this was alluded to by one of the posters above, is that you don't necessarily get paid when you are on FMLA leave. I work for the state of Texas. When I went on FMLA leave following the birth of my DD, I had to use sick leave and vacation leave. Once that was gone, I would have had to go on leave without pay. Because I was on FMLA my job was protected, but I would have had no salary, I would have stopped the clock on any tenure/seniority, and I would have had to pay full price for my health insurance (meaning the state would not pay its contribution to my health insurance when I was on leave without pay).
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:22 PM on May. 2, 2011