What do i do about them not sleeping?

I have a 2 and 3 year old...both girls...they will NOT go to bed at night until around 1am...i think it might have to do with their dad coming home at 2:15am...they wake up at 11-12ish and dont nap...they are driving me insane!! I love them to death but i need some ME time...they cant be left in the same room alone if either one of them is awake because they get into everything... I cant get them to wake up earlier..ive tried and they are so grouchy they fight me until i let them go back to bed...i cant make them take naps..i try to get them to lay down for bed at 8pm every night and they will fall asleep for a hour or two then wake up ready to go... i want to pull my hair out...please help

mom2girliegirls

Asked by mom2girliegirls at 11:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like they are on a schedule but just at the wrong times. When they lay down at 8 that is kind of their "mid day" nap. The only thing I can think of is waking them up in the morning, around 7 or 8 and no matter how grouchy they are do not let them go back to sleep until noon. I know it probaby easier said then done, especially since I am not dealing with them. I can see that as the only solution. You just have to change their schedule somehow. Good Luck!
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• question are they in the same room? that may have something to do with it. but i think jamieLK is right they need the cycle broken. and so u need to wake them up at 8am deal with the grouchy behavior and just take them out of the house. like to a park. or take them to breakfast at mc's then let them play in the play place. if you do something fun while trying to break there cycle then maybe it will be easyer. also try a warm bath before bed with lavander to wear them out. or just wear them out durring the day. that may help to.
    kikyu

Answer by kikyu at 3:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• JamieLK, I hope you have been successful in getting your little ones on a routine that is a better fit for your family's lifestyle. I know that it can be extremely hard at first; but something I try real hard to remember is that it will be over one day. It may take a few days or a week to get them heading in the right direction; but it will happen.
    2boystolove

Answer by 2boystolove at 4:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2008