Any good housebreaking tips for a frustrated morkie owner

First: morkie is a maltiese and yorkie mix

He is 3 mo. and I have had him for over a month and housebreaking is not going well. He doesn't make the connection outside and going potty. I have heard that morkies are like the worst dog to housebreak and even though I am frustrated I do not want to give up and stick him outside all the time or return him back to the breeder. He is crate trained, and I take him out every hour. I keep him in the kitchen for I fear he may stink up our carpet. Is there something I am missing or more I can do?

Taylor82

Asked by Taylor82 at 10:06 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Pets

• Do you feed him on a schedule? Do you stay outside with him and praise him and/or give him a treat when he potties outside?
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 10:16 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• You are Right- they are Hard to train but, once they catch on, they got it! i have a Chi/Yorkie Mix & she was never a problem to train- but, my daughter has a Maltese & it took a Long Time- at 3 months you can't expect your puppy to get it yet; their Little Tiny Bladders can not hold it yet- & Please do Not Stick your Morkie Outside- they are Inside dogs & can not handle being Outside! if you go to the website www.dogster.com it will give you some Awesome tips on how to train him & help you understand more about the breed- Good Luck-

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:19 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Yes I do, I feed him at the same time every day and am always with him when he goes out side. I was giving him treats when he did go potty but didn't seem to have any effect except on his weight.
    Taylor82

Comment by Taylor82 (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Thanks Daisyb I will check out that website
    Taylor82

Comment by Taylor82 (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• It sounds like you are doing everything right...just give it time. Like the other poster said, at just 3 months he can't hold it very long. Puppies, especially small breeds, have very small bladders...also small breeds usually take longer to housebreak.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 10:26 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• As the other posters said, they can't hold it at three months which means you may need to take him out more frequently. I suggest every twenty to thirty minutes or even every ten minutes since he is a small breed.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Have you tried using potty pads for you dog? put it beside the door. If they potty on the carpet or on the floor, put the potty pad on the spot
    upside down to soak up the potty, then put it be the door and praise your dog for using the potty pad, they will never know the difference.
    They will start using the potty pad by the door after a few tries and think that they are doing something great and wonderful.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 4:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I always heard potty pads are a bad idea if you want the dog to go outside and I have started taking him outside 30 to 45 minutes and that does seem to be working.
    Taylor82

Comment by Taylor82 (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I agree, puppy/piddle pads will only confuse them as it just teaches them TO pee on the floor. I'm glad taking him out more often seems to be working. Eventually, you will be able to increase the time between outings.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 1:00 AM on May. 1, 2011

• my parents have a slightly similar breed, a Chorkie. When I babysit for the beast I cannot get it calm enough to piddle outside so I cheat and buy puppy pads..... good luck!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:05 AM on May. 1, 2011