Age Difference

There is a 3 year age difference between my dh and I.
How far would you keep a age difference in a relationship?
Would you consider someone 40 years older than you?

I am turning 40 this month and would not even think of someone who was 40 years older, cause I do not think I would share anything in common with someone that much older than myself, but would consider 10 years older and 5 years younger.

virginiamama71

Asked by virginiamama71 at 10:33 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• 40 Years older? I dont think So ! Not me That is a bit much lol
    PrissyT

Answer by PrissyT at 10:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• well i prefer older men- my s/o is almost 12 years older. i don't have a set age limit but 40 years older is just gross. if a man is 40 years older than me i definitely would not be attracted to him because he would not be appealing to my eye. looks are very important to me. Arnold scwarzeneger (spelling) is good looking for his age BUT i would not be attracted to him - - DAVID -BECKHAM is my cup of tea hmmm.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I think it depends on the couple. I know people who are any where from 17 yrs apart down to 9 years apart. As long as you share common morals, values, etc, & love each other, then age shouldn't matter. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My dh is 8 years older than me and it works well in our situation. I don't feel like he is older...never really think about it, really.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 10:38 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My fiance is 9 years older than me and we get along great. We've been together for a while now and have not had any serious fights and only one petty fight over some drama from my mom.
    kandimomma

Answer by kandimomma at 10:38 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• i dont think age has to do with being in love! .. my husband an i are only a year an half apart which isnt much.. but if you love someone than why would you i guess leave because they are 20 years older or whatever.. idk ...
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:40 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My mom and dad were 15 yrs apart and I never understood it. In the last couple of years when he wasn't able to work like before (like 18 hrs a day) all I saw was her being highly annoyed by him
    To me, that is too much of a difference- but I guess if it works for someone else, then that's fine
    I am 3 yrs older than hubby and it's fine for us
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:40 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My husband is 5 years older and that's about the max I would do. My ex was 13 years older than me and I saw firsthand the problems it caused - we were married for 12 years but that's about as long as I could make it last!

Answer by missanc at 10:42 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I have an aunt whose husband is 13 years older than her, and they are very much in love and very happy. My SO is 15 months older than me. I have always tended to prefer men who are older than me. But I think, for me, I could not go beyond about 10 years older than myself. I think beyond that we just wouldn't have enough in common. As for someone younger than me...the 2 relationships I had with men younger than me (both about 1 1/2 years younger than me) ended rather badly, so I tend to shy away from younger men. I can't say for sure that the fact that they were younger than me contributed to the bad ending, but given that all the other relationships ended on better terms, I am inclined to think it was a contributing factor.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:45 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I dated someone that was 15 years older than me and he mothered me a lot. I believe it was just his personality but it drove me crazy. We only dated a few months. DH is 2 1/2 years older and we work great together.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Apr. 30, 2011