Weight gain from Depo shot????

I have always been skinny in high school i would eat fatty foods just to try to gain a cpl lbs...after i had my son i was skinnier than i was before 105lbs....I am 5'3...i was on the depo shot(birth control) for about 4 years and gained 30 lbs....I got off and figured i wouldnt gain anymore but since i stopped getting the shot in december i have gained 15 more lbs, I have been cutting my calories, eating smaller portions and exercising at least 3 times a week....Has anyone else had this problem or similar, and is there any advice you can give me? I am now in the over wieght range for my height....Thanks

lnanln2006

Asked by lnanln2006 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Okay your BMR is roughly 1426, meaning you burn 1426 calories a day just living. To maintain your weight as is right now you need 1960 calories a day, so to loose weight you should aim for 1460 calories a day.

As far as what you eat, depends on the cereal....both the cereal and fruit are basicaly just carbs, you really should have some sort of protein in there, so for example 1 egg and a cup of oatmeal is much better. If you have a sandwich it should be in whole grain bread with a meat with less sodium and fat, such as grilled chicken....i wouldn't even touch the pasta...just fast acting carbs that enter your blood stream quickly, so when you don't use all those calories right away that sugar gets stored as fat. Don't have taters AND corn, both are starches, switch to a sweet potato (higher in fiber) and steamed broccoli. No pasta again, lean protein, whole grain carbs, lots of veggies
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I actually Gained weight On the Pill A long time ago Idk the reason for it But I also Heard Alot Of Ladies Say they Have also Gained weight Using Birth Control *Period*
    PrissyT

Answer by PrissyT at 10:44 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I know... i got on the depo to gain weight because i was too skinny then....but i started gaining too much so i got off but i keep gaining weight.... Also the doc checked my thyroid in last july and said that looked fine...
    lnanln2006

Comment by lnanln2006 (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I gained on the depo. but not when I was off, at least none I attribute to not being on it. Do me a favor, respond with your height and weight and what you eat in an average day. I'll calculate your BMR and we'll see ig you are eating enough, too much or whats going on.....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• 5'3' 145lbs.....Breakfast (cereal and a fruit) Lunch (sometimes a ham sandwich, or asparagus pasta) Dinner( im not to healthy with that because i make what the rest of my family likes...Lasagna, porkchops with tatos and corn, that kind of thing...
    lnanln2006

Comment by lnanln2006 (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I try to keep my calorie intake below 1500....when i wasnt caring about my weight at all, i would snack constantley on chips, sweets, and i would eat 2-3 servings at dinner until i was full....Now that im concious of my weight i dont snack on junk food and i only eat 1 serving until im satisfied not full
    lnanln2006

Comment by lnanln2006 (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• What kind of exercise do you do? It could have nothing to do with the depo. Remember your metabolism slows down as you age. I'd just eat healthy and exercise you should loose the weight.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:13 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• If its nice out i take my dog for a run, Or i have a walk at home video i walk 1-2 miles a day with that, situps on exercise ball, squats....If i had a treadmill or elliptical machine i would def take advantage of that!!! I thought about the metabolism i was hoping the exerciseing would jump start it....my whole family is SKINNY, and i was always SKINNY, i just find it odd now i keep gaining and gaining...
    lnanln2006

Comment by lnanln2006 (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Apr. 30, 2011