Would you sacrifice this?

Would you or have you avoided buying nice furniture so that your children and pets can feel comfortable and at ease in your home? My couches are very old and a dark color and I will continue to use them until my child is old enough to keep it clean! I love that my kid can spill something and I am not worried one bit!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I have a hand-me-down right now. It was my MIL's and it's about 10 years old, and she had kept it PRISTINE. No one was allowed to put their feet on it or sit any other way but the 'right' way. Now that I have it, it still looks great, but hey, it's old, and if something spills(it's maroon or a dark reddish purple) I don't flip out. Definitely kid friendly!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:01 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Our kids are no longer kids, but when they lived at home, we always had a casual "family" room with dark LB furniture and a more formal living room, which they rarely entered. Now we just have great rooms...still pretty casual.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• If my furniture was so ragged out the homeless people would turn their nose up, I'd get rid of it. I'm all about having sturdy, kid-friendly furniture, but if my guests came over & looked freaked at the idea of sitting on it, then it's time to upgrade.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 10:52 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Oh of course I would never have a couch THAT bad in my house. I have just noticed many families in my community getting those microsuede type couches and I don't but I don't want to be paranoid about everything that ends up on my couch and what if I cant get the mess out!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I think that when you have kids and pets you have to have kid/pet friendly everything or it is a waste of money. When my son turned about 17 we decided to buy better furniture in a lighter shade and shortly after, we found out we were pregnant. So, now we have nice furniture that is not as nice as it should be because my daughter has spilled on it. We tell her she is not allowed to have drinks in the living room but she has done it before when we are not home and my Mom told her she could. Plus just every day wear and tear with a child.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:08 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I usually stick with nice used furniture, but do replace it so it looks nice, but is still kid friendly.

Answer by gemgem at 11:17 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• UGh. We bought brand new suede couch and chair for our living room....because the sales person said it is just as easy to clean as leather. THEY LIED! Never ever get suede. I have a set less than a year old and it looks like hell. We had to buy covers for it.
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• i have a leather couch and i am happy for that
    martinsmom2008

Answer by martinsmom2008 at 6:10 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I'd rather have "comfortable" than "nice" no matter what, but we did pick our furniture out with a child in mind - all exposed edges are rounded and padded, easy to clean, etc. It's slightly older than DS, and going to need replacing eventually, but I'm not in a hurry. When he gets out of the jumping on the furniture stage he'll be in the flopping on the furniture stage for another 10 years.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:02 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I have new furniture at my house my daughter is 14 months old. She playes with everything but I belive if you tech them to take care of things they do learn. It's good for them to enjoy their home but you should enjoy it as well. I love having my place nice and neat. My brother has cream color furniture and my niece is 4 and never has she stain it or messed it up. She know better.
    xnegritalindax

Answer by xnegritalindax at 12:47 PM on May. 1, 2011