What is wrong with my baby?

Lately my son who is 3 1/2 months old has been seriously fussy he will just cry and cry and fuss for no reason I dont know what to do I change him brup him feed him rock him give him his paci nothing works I try to lay him down to sleep and he just wakes right back up again.....its driving me crazy.....he doesn't act like he is in any pain and doesn't appear to be sick in anyway.......so basically I am at a loss I dont know what to do is this normal?

hautemama83

Asked by hautemama83 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-14 Credits)
  • Could be teething- try Tylenol or Teething tablets or Orajel... whichever you like
    Could be over tired (try putting him down for a nap when you see the first signs of fussiness)
    I don't know what else... those are the things that make my 4 month old fussy.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:07 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Have you tried bringing him in? Could be an ear infection? this age is SO hard to try to figure out what is wrong. I feel for you mommy. .My son had colic - and as you may know thats bouts ( 14 hours a day in my case for 5 months ) of unexplainable crying - its horrible but ask for help and walk away when you need to - does he have a temp at all?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Is there a chance he has reflux?
    NewMum2007

Answer by NewMum2007 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• could be colic...you can also let him start crying it out for a few minutes, if you want to do that method. my DD just turned 4 months the other day and i started letting her cry for 2 minutes at 3 weeks, now that she's older she cries for about 5 minutes before i go get her. of course i only do this if i know she's changed, fed, the works. sometimes a little cry is all they need to get to sleep. if you don't want to do the CIO method, then you can get a sling, so that your LO feels close to you, but you also have your 2 hands to do things. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:12 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Colic, trapped gas in the intestines, or a growth spurt. I'd call the doc and see what he says. My kid had collic and blockage (from solids) sometimes...or both. Also, when they go through a growth spurt or are trying a new milestone (like a physical skill) they can be really fussy! If it is colic, trapped gas, or blockage, try massages or pumping the legs (like a bicycle!) It may relieve it a little, but not solve it. Definatly change the food as AFTER trying other things as it can really mess up their systems. Still, I say call doc first and see what he says. I know its hard. My baby did that for the longest time!
    amandallamas

Answer by amandallamas at 12:24 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• He's probaly teething, you can't see or feel the teeth but they can and it hurts..my son did the same thing..take him in to the doctors to make sure nothing else is going on and if theres no answers there..then yea hes prolly teething!
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 12:26 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I think back to when my son was that age. He was fussy a lot. It always seemed like he had gas or his stomach was hurting. I never quite figured it out. It seemed to pass eventually, maybe at 4 or 5 months I think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I think if he were colicky you would know by now. It usually shows up in the first few weeks and your son is now way beyond that. I know at about 3 months my son started getting really fussy but then I found out it was a growth spurt and was just really hungry. He went from eating 4oz every 4 hours to eating 5oz every 2 hours literally over night. That was over a month ago and he's still eating just as much and as often.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:33 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• have you tried baby massages? I hear it works good for colicky babies and just for soothing him.

http://www.makewayforbaby.com/massages.htm
    http://parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/ncare/0,,lz_76tp,00.html
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 3:20 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• How about putting him in an infant swing?
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 7:04 AM on Dec. 4, 2008