Seeking Royal Explanation

As he was in line to the throne, I thought Prince Charles had to marry someone of royal lineage, hence Diana fit the bill. But now William is in line to the throne, and it is my understanding that Kate is a commoner. Am I wrong about her or did the rules change?

Whimsee

Asked by Whimsee at 10:57 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Entertainment

• I believe the Queen has to approve of any royal marriage. Normally she would only approve of him marrying someone with a royal background but after what happened with his mother they went ahead and approved his marriage to Kate.

Answer by gemgem at 11:14 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• The rules changed. I was watching a documentary about it the night before the wedding. The Queen approved the change right before William proposed to her.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• The rules haven't changed - they have just been misunderstood. I was curious after reading your question, so I looked it up. Diana wasn't of royal lineage, she was of aristocratic lineage, but she was actually a commoner. As was the Queen's mother. They became royal when they married royalty. Some countries have had rules about this, though most of them have done away with those rules. But, for another example, a recent King of Jordan (I believe it's the current King's dad) actually married an American, who then gave up her citizenship in the US and was Queen Noor of Jordan. Also, look at Grace Kelly - she was an American who married the Prince of Monaco. (Of course, both American women being commoners :-) ).

However, they do have an issue with the person marrying into the Royal family being divorced and being in line for the throne (not just Camilla, but also during WWII era, too...)

hope this helps!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:07 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• But this is just as it was explained on the site I read - it could be crap, and I have to admit, it seems like a lot of splitting hairs to me.

I admit I didn't watch the wedding - I'm happy for them, but too much to do here to watch it :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:08 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Thanks -- these answers all clarify. I also didn't understand the difference between royal lineag and aristocratic lineage. Thanks
    Whimsee

Comment by Whimsee (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2011